The "I like my grilled meats no longer walking" appreciation club

I suppose I can't even walk by the clubhouse

I like Steak Tartare.... the traditional way, with diced raw onions, capers and a raw egg on top... :boxing:

800px-Tatar-1.jpg

I like Steak Tartare.... the traditional way, with diced raw onions, capers and a raw egg on top... :boxing:
My ex's family loved that, took me years to try it, I missed out! It is so good. And, yes, I like my meat cooked on the rarer side.

Ummmm......Steak I will gladly eat rare, med-rare and that is about it. All bets are off off off off off when it comes to under cooked ground beef.

E. Coli 0157H knows no boundaries. You need to cook ground beef through and through or there isn't anything to stop that vicious bug from getting you. When I lived in Queensbury, NY and people as young as 30 were dying from this strain of bacteria, that settled rare/med-rare/med/med-well donenesss. Fully cooked and juicy for me please.

This is very interesting to me. My wife also makes comments about not wanting to see blood on her plate. What i find interesting is that it isn't blood. The blood in any animal (including us) is carried in the veins and arteries. There is very little blood in the meat itself. Red meats, such as beef, contain a lot of water. The water mixes with a protein called myoglobin, and ends up as the red liquid that most folks think is blood.

I can understand how different textures appeal to different tastes, and i can understand how taste preferences differ. I'm not one of those militant types :-D It's your steak (or chop or whatever) so you can eat it however you like it. It's similar to coffee. Folks sometimes apologize to me for putting milk, cream or sugar in their coffee. I always tell them that they should drink it however they like it. The only exception to that is ketchup on hot dogs! :twisted:
X2 except for the hot dog +ketchup which I just don't get at all, never having eaten one.(shrugs)

My experience has been that it is always the people who don't like rareish meat are militant and aggressively pushy about it.
My theory is controversial and I don't want to get hated because I am perfectly happy to cook stuff however it will best please the eater.
That being said, I learned young not to 'eat with my head' but to use my other senses designed for the job.
In other words, not to judge the food and go "YUCK" until I had tried it a few times.
We all have our limits though, I saw Baluut in the Philipines and drew the line, and that was after being raised eating charred fur covered macropods dragged smoking out of a hardwood fie on the ground, or wriggling caterpillars that taste like buttery custard.
In Asia, I had a good hearted couple walk over and tell me not to eat the raw chicken because I would die.
Turns out they had traveled in Asia for 3 months eating out of bakeries and cans from supermarkets.
Makes you wonder why it is that these food and safety dogma's we have drummed into us in our own 'superior' culture that we drag out into other environs take precedence on our sense of reality OVER the visual evidence that a dramatically denser population far older than 'home' is happily chowing down on the food and living happily with no ill effects.
Did I listen to the good Samaritans?
No.
I had been eating this for ten years, along with millions of other diners. I ate the raw chicken, and politely told them about my friend back home I met at university.
He was from Koh Phangan, Thailand.
Nice guy, beautiful island.... well, it used to be.
Anyway, every time the wind blew and the trees gushed with it, he covered his head with his hands and ran all bowed over.
Funny to see.
Where he grew up, the wind blew coconuts down and they would kill you if they hit you on the head just right.
You don't carry the rules with you. Pay attention to the environment and learn.
Don't judge food taste and sensation with your mind but with your other senses designed for it.
If chicken is fresh and processed safely and served properly it is delicious and perfectly safe raw.
So it depends on that, and that only.
The proteins , myoblobin and H2O in meat is not blood, and the only time I have experienced that metallic taste is when I taste my own fresh blood.
Now THAT is blood.
I have this funny feeling I am not going to get an invite into the club?:roll:
(Sorry if I went on too long...)

Last edited:
This is very interesting to me. My wife also makes comments about not wanting to see blood on her plate. What i find interesting is that it isn't blood. The blood in any animal (including us) is carried in the veins and arteries. There is very little blood in the meat itself. Red meats, such as beef, contain a lot of water. The water mixes with a protein called myoglobin, and ends up as the red liquid that most folks think is blood.

This is very true unless you accidentally blow the chit out of the animal with a high power rifle causing intense trauma to the meat :shocked:

DSCN1203.jpg

Herein lies the beauty of SPAM. You don't even have to cook that.

Mmmm, SPAM Tartare

What i find interesting is that it isn't blood. The blood in any animal (including us) is carried in the veins and arteries. There is very little blood in the meat itself. Red meats, such as beef, contain a lot of water. The water mixes with a protein called myoglobin, and ends up as the red liquid that most folks think is blood.

this is the first thing i thought about when i read the other post. the mind is amazing. if you think you are eating blood, your mind will make you think you get that "metallic" taste. but its actually not there.

my parents used to be well done people. they are now medium-medium well. its all texture for them. but when we have cookouts, i'm cooking steaks. i over the past 10 years have slowly gotten them to where they are today.

Have I told you I love this thread? I enjoy the civil discussion about a hot topic. Well done all. :thumb:

as for chicken. a friend of mine raises their own birds. they cook their chicken, medium most of the time. i love slow cooked chicken, but i long for the ability to eat my chicken medium. it was that good.

Cooking chicken is my nemesis.
It is the most overcooked meat bar none, but for me I want that flesh silky soft and moist, want to get it off before it reaches the point of getting that sandpaper grain when you slice it, to have the blood flecks along the bone.
I almost always cook too far.
sigh

this is the first thing i thought about when i read the other post. the mind is amazing. if you think you are eating blood, your mind will make you think you get that "metallic" taste. but its actually not there.

my parents used to be well done people. they are now medium-medium well. its all texture for them. but when we have cookouts, i'm cooking steaks. i over the past 10 years have slowly gotten them to where they are today.

Your parents love you. They will probably choke down anything you serve with a smile. :boxing: That's what parents are for.

Cooking chicken is my nemesis.
It is the most overcooked meat bar none, but for me I want that flesh silky soft and moist, want to get it off before it reaches the point of getting that sandpaper grain when you slice it, to have the blood flecks along the bone.
I almost always cook too far.
sigh

Yummy:crazy:

Have I told you I love this thread? I enjoy the civil discussion about a hot topic. Well done all. :thumb:

Me too...but watch out for us Militant animal overcookers. I think there are 5 or 6 of us (total) on the forums, just waiting to beat up the undercookers.:doh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ

Me too...but watch out for us Militant animal overcookers. I think there are 5 or 6 of us (total) on the forums, just waiting to beat up the undercookers.:doh:

bucaneer,

hahahahaha.....

Never been described as frail before....

If you only knew. :laugh:

Back