• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bark or No Bark

Billy Ribs

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just picked up five 20-25# bags of wood. 1 each of Apple, Apricot, Nectarine, Pecan, and Plum.

My question is: Do I need to remove the bark before burning it?

I have read (on this fine forum) that you should remove the heavier bark such as Mesquite, oak, etc. but I'm not sure about the lighter barks.

I guess if you're a purist or worried of off flavors, remove the bark. Me, I never worry about it.

Every bbq joint's pile I see around her looks just like a load of firewood. So I would say no, it's not necessary.

I really appreciate the feed back.

I guess its like most things with BBQ, personal taste. I think I'll try it both ways and see it I can tell the difference.

throw some with no bark on the fire. than later try a little with bark in the fire see .... no differance :doh:

I never bother with removing the bark from any of the apple, cherry, and maple I get from the trees on the property.

Experiment and see what you like. However, Tuffy Stone won Grand Champion at a contest this past weekend against 58 other teams. His wood pile had oak and hickory piled up with bark and all.

I been a stick burner for a long time . I always leave the bark on unless it falls off.

I don't think it matters for bigger smokers,, smaller smokers---maybe! I don't even think about it anymore:confused:

I'm a bark on person also. Tried both ways on several different cooks and couldn't find a distinct difference.

Back