It's fine to use the top grill in fact it's the only one I use.

Question for the Brothers who are much smarter than me on the subject.

I have read the whole thing over the past months and I've seen posts where people are having problems controlling the temps. A common response or question to the question is how well does the top fit? Does it leak etc. Question is this, what difference (within reason) does it make if the top does not seal? Is that not just another exhaust port so to speak? Again within reason.

I'm asking because so far I have assembled everything needed for zero cost! Which was my goal and why it has taken so long. The donated drum was a refurb with the red liner. During the burn outs (and it was the mother of all burnouts) partially melted the damn thing. I was going to toss it and start over but I though what the hey. After a day of metal working have it in pretty good shape but I'm not sure about how the top fits. Was about to break down and have the interior sand blasted but am I wasting my $20 if it leaks a bit? No the top was not included in the MOB (mother of all burn outs), if I finish this drum I will include photos of the burn and subsequent barrell stretching actiivties.

I took a pair of channel locks and bent the rim out on a Weber Kettle lid and placed it on the drum and took a rubber hammer to it. When I first start cooking you will see the smoke rolling under the lid but then after a few minutes it goes away. I have no problem maintaining temps and can shut it down within a few minutes by closing the exhaust and intakes. The more you cook on it the more "seasoned" it will get and the lid will fit better.

Thanks Boshizzle:
Just the whack on the head I needed. They look like a perfect solution.
PoppaSmoke

294 pages for me. I set the site to display 20 posts per page so I'm not needing to flip pages so often. What same questions?

Just wanted to drop in and say hi. I joined this site for this thread alone! I found some plans of the big baby smoker and immediately started hunting down some drums. The more I looked around the more designs I found that had me thinking. I love the efficiency you guys are getting from the UDS but I really want more cooking area. I finally came across the design below and think this is the route I'm going to go.

post-smoker.jpg

I got a hold of 5 barrels the other day and I'm going to go to work on cleaning them up this weekend. I'm going to build a couple simple UDS' for a friend and myself first then tackle the T-Style smoker. I think it will give me a good compromise between the cooking area and the efficiency of a simple UDS. So here's my start...

drums.jpg

Can't wait to get started! Back to reading, I'm only about a 5th of the way through this monstrosity of a thread!:becky:

Bruce--

How about a close-up of those wheel mounts? They look great!

And those intakes seem bigger than the normal 3/4. Are they?

I built a UDS a couple years ago and love it, but I'm about to build another one using an 85 gallon drum.

For those of you who have built a UDS from an 85 gallon drum, did you use the same basic set up as a 55? For my 55 UDS, I used three 3/4" intakes with one ball valve and then eight 1/2" exhaust holes in the lid. Do I need to change anything for a bigger drum?

Can't wait to get started on my new, bigger UDS.

Here's where I'll be getting my drum. :biggrin:

DID7.jpg.w560h389.jpg

Valhalla!

I built a UDS a couple years ago and love it, but I'm about to build another one using an 85 gallon drum.

For those of you who have built a UDS from an 85 gallon drum, did you use the same basic set up as a 55? For my 55 UDS, I used three 3/4" intakes with one ball valve and then eight 1/2" exhaust holes in the lid. Do I need to change anything for a bigger drum?

Can't wait to get started on my new, bigger UDS.

Here's where I'll be getting my drum. :biggrin:

DID7.jpg.w560h389.jpg

Finished my UDS yesterday seasoned it and doing a length of burn test today set at 250 and capped 3 and the other is open. Lets see how far it goes on time with the load of charcoal

Anyone on here have a ring lever lock they dont want. My Lid just about fits perfect but i want to try putting a lever lock on to try and close the small gap. (55gallon)

I've got a few of them laying around but the shipping would kill you. I remember trying a few different rim clamps at the barrel warehouse before I found a good fit on my barrels. Taller barrels are often a little smaller in diameter to equal the 55gallons. Good luck

Back