Advice on a new cutlery set?

Militant83

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Mundial is mid range - just as good as dexter IMO. They would work well very for your $200 budget.

I use Bakers & Chefs, cheap, white-handled knives for everything except slicing brisket and chopping. For that I use a cheap Dexter 12" Granton edge slicer and a Henkels cleaver respectively.
Cookoffkickoff2011004.jpg

Minus the cleaver, I've got less than $100 in the whole set. I find I don't have the sharpening/honing skill to take even THESE to their limit; I don't see the point in dropping several hundred dollars on something finer.

These work just fine for me.

As was posted earlier. Mundial is a decent knife. I would personally lean towards a Forschner Victorionox line. I have a friend that just got one of them to replace his Henckle and he swears he woulld throw rocks at it now.
Just my 2 cents
Gary
Garys BBQ Supplies

I get Dexter's off e-bay and have not paid more than 20.00 for any of them. Ya just gotta be patient. Great knives and made in USA. I did splurge on my warthog sharpener-was my Christmas present to myself.

I have been drooling over these simply because the look badarse :)

292325.jpg

These are the Guy Fieri signature knives from the foodnetworkstore.com site...

I have been drooling over these simply because the look badarse :)

292325.jpg

These are the Guy Fieri signature knives from the foodnetworkstore.com site...

These were some of the most difficult knives to sharpen in recent memory.

What made them difficult? I use the ceramic V sharpeners on all my knives with great results... are these somehow different?
The steel was very soft and had a lot of stretch and spring back to it. It was difficult to get a clean burr on one edge then, trying to take the burr off just caused it to roll over to the other side.

As was posted earlier. Mundial is a decent knife. I would personally lean towards a Forschner Victorionox line. I have a friend that just got one of them to replace his Henckle and he swears he woulld throw rocks at it now.
Just my 2 cents
Gary
Garys BBQ Supplies

How could you not love a face like this! :heh:

Attachments

• Forschner 12 inch Cimeter knife with Blade Tamer (2).jpg
    Forschner 12 inch Cimeter knife with Blade Tamer (2).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 97
Not sure what brands are best for bbq, but I have a set of Henckels at home for cooking and what not that are great and a I have a Shun chefs knife that you could circumsize a mosquito with (not that I've tried). Cutleryandmore.com has some good deals on knive sets or on individuals. I would stay away from food channel endorsed knives as they are usually made of crappy metal and will wear and rust super quick. With knives I would rather spend the money and have a set for a long time to come. Gilt.com sometimes has knives on sale in there house selection too. you can get shuns henckels at like 50-60% off.

This bad boy looks pretty nice, but it probably costs more than my whole UDS.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/henckels-four-star/hollow-edge-slicing-knife-p1211

Middle set is the best value for the money, top set is likely going to have slightly better knives, but at a much higher cost per knife.

I personally wouldn't even consider the bottom set.

I wanted a knife set for just me. I purchased the middle one from Madcow. So far I have liked them. Although I don't use them everyday. Maybe someone who does can chime in. :cool:

I wouldnt use them everyday either... just when im cookin some que which is a few times a month.

For $55 you can get the pairing knife, the flexible boning knife, the 8 inch chef's knife and the 14 inch slicer. All you'll ever need.

Back