• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

2009 Smokin' in Mesquite - Who Won?

huminie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I watched the BBQ Pitmasters Season 1 re-run of the Smokin' in Mesquite episode and in the show Myon/Jack's Old South won GC. But I noticed on the KCBS website, Jack's Old South isn't listed. It looks like Myron was removed from the standings as all the placings are off by that amount.

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2009&month=9&id=1860

Does anyone know what happened? Just curious why he isn't listed when the show clearly showed him winning GC. Sorry if this has been hashed over in the past, but just wondering what the back story is, if there is any.

Another team w/ Myron's people also competeted that weekend under the name Jack's Old South and also won GC. As this was a clear infraction of the KCBS rules, Myron had to forfeit the GC win in Mesquite. There was some issues regarding what happened with the payout money (possible charity donation, but not sure where / how that ended) but this is the basic of the story.

Oh, I see...so the same team essentially competed in 2 different contests in the same weekend. Interesting. Thanks!

Sweet Peppers the RGC was awarded the GC..Myron had to give back the 10,000 check too..sore subject when I asked him about it...if he would have called it Jacks old south #2 there wouldn't have been a problem

Oh, I see...so the same team essentially competed in 2 different contests in the same weekend. Interesting. Thanks!

The same "day". Had the product been turned in on separate days there would not have been an issue.

Good correction...contests with a Sat turn in and a Sun turn in would have been fine...but two on the same day would be bad. I thought Mesquite was a Sunday turn in and those seem rare, so I am surprised there was such a conflict.

Mesquite is a Saturday turn in, I think he would have been ok if there had been a differant head cook listed.

Not trying to argue the point, but I am pretty sure Mesquite is a Sunday turn in on Labor Day weekend. The KCBS site shows the 2009 contest as being Sept 4-6, which is Fri, Sat, Sun. This year turn ins are Sunday as well.

Unless the rules have changed, you are mistaken.

This year is a Sunday turn-in, unlike last year.

From their website:

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 4th
10:30 AM
Judges meeting in the CasaBlanca Showroom
11:00 AM-7:00 PM
Beer Garden and Event Pavilion Opens
Live DJ, BBQ Food, Kids Corner
11:00 AM-7:00 PM
BBQ Car Show
e. Show N Shine Competition
f. People’s Choice Competition Continues
11:30-5:30PM
Interactive Audience Game
12:00-2:30PM
Meat turn in for competitors in CasaBlanca Showroom
3:00-5:00 PM
People's Choice- Come sample competitive teams pork and vote for your favorite!
6:00 PM
BBQ Awards

Yep last year was Saturday turn ins..kinda sucks turning in on Sunday..takes away my extra night in Vegas!..oh well were still gonna be there for sure..last year it was 115 at turn time

Back