• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Joined the dark side

bbqmike_ny

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I know I'm new here, worked on making smoke on a gas bbq grill with decent success. I picked up a brick red OTG today from CL, and just started making a chicken. It's definitely a curve trying to keep the temp where you want it, I started with half a chimney just to heat up the grill, it was running 410+ empty. It looked like the coals were dying out, so I added another half chimney trying to get around 350, its getting there slowly, I have the vents wide open.

Attachments

• 2013-09-29 16.12.00.jpg
    2013-09-29 16.12.00.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 270
Congrats! A simple Weber kettle started my addiction and it very well could for you too. It has been the starter for many on here.

I learned a great tip here.
Mark on the lower intake the closed and open positions with a sharpie. This will shorten the learning curve.
You will have to wait for the grill to cool.:p
jon

You'll learn it pretty quick search Weber kettle in google bar below for a lot of info

Congrats! You will figure out the temp control pretty quick.

When i do a spatchcocked chicken i do two separate charcoal snakes, with a pan with water to regulate temps. I light opposite ends with a few (4-6) lit coals and i put my wood chunks spaced out.

002-1_zpsffe49e6b.jpg

I have one just like it! (oh you may want to fix the legs)
Krafthome_zps0469660b.jpg

I have one just like it! (oh you may want to fix the legs)

Yeah I realized that when I went to move it, lol.

Turned out good, I will play with the "snake" method on the next longer cook.

Do you just let the fire burn out, or douse it with water?

Attachments

• 2013-09-29 18.24.17.jpg
    2013-09-29 18.24.17.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 2013-09-29 17.42.57.jpg
    2013-09-29 17.42.57.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 165
Looks like a successful cook.

Just close all of the vents and your coals should snuff out within about a half hour. Then you could use the leftover coals in the next burn.

welcome to the kettle side! I love mine, easy to use, makes great food and is very versatile once you learn a few tricks.

control the temp with the lower vents and the upper vent should be near wide open.
start shutting down the lower vent as the temp is rising. and don't micromanage the temp. you will driver yerself and the kettle nuts. a swing of 275 350 is fine.

Welcome to the madness!!!!
You got a fine lil starter there, looking forward to your future cooks

Back