Stuffed MOINKS?

TrustTheDust

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Happy Super Bowl weekend everyone!

Let me preface my post with the following:
I know that a MOINK ball is an all frozen beef meatball wrapped with bacon.

With that said, I would like to do a variation on the MOINK with some pork sausage I had stored up for fatties. I plan on stuffing them with cheese, then wrapping with bacon and smoking.

To do this, I plan on using some egg and bread crumbs similar to what I would do with a meatloaf. Hoping that the consistency would hold the cheese inside and prevent it from oozing out of the meatball.

My fear is spending the time making these and being left with a bacon wrapped meatball with an empty cavity where the cheese used to be.

My questions:
1) Has anyone tried this before? Anything I need to watch out for?
2) What kind of cheese would work best to prevent oozing? (Was possibly thinking about using mozzarella string cheese to be on the safe side)
3) Any suggestions for a tasty glaze to compliment these things?

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Mozzarella might help with the oozing issue; you could also try double wrap with bacon, once around the middle and once from top to bottom.
However any variation of the original MOINK ball would most likely be considered a moink ball.
Being IMBAS certified, just my dos centavos......

I knew referencing moinks was going to get me into some sort of trouble Westex :p

I would like to stay away from mozzarella if possible, hoping for optimal gooeyness!

I used to have some high temp pepper jack used for sausage making. They didn't melt. They just got gooey. They were sort of expensive, though.

I haven't done that but highly encourage you to give it a try. I like my stuff a little spicy so I would dust them with a hot rub of some sort. I just did ABT's and dusted them with The Rub Company's Hot wing rub.
Go for it!

The problem with the string cheese is that it melts kinda funny, we were actually able to roast sticks of it over a fire. I would think if you just made sure the meat is thick enough, a cheese like a sharp cheddar or Emmenthaler would work fine

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will try to some with sharp cheddar, and maybe some with pepper-jack. Hoping for the best!

I will follow up with some pics.

Here are what I called Pig Balls - did them last year...
Italian Sausage wrapped around Velveeta, enrobed in bacon...

DSC_0056-5.jpg

DSC_0061-3.jpg

Dang it... now I want some of these and me with no bacon in the houese THE HORROR!!!

Here are what I called Pig Balls - did them last year...
Italian Sausage wrapped around Velveeta, enrobed in bacon...

DSC_0056-5.jpg

DSC_0061-3.jpg

Dang it... now I want some of these and me with no bacon in the houese THE HORROR!!!

To quote a familiar jingle. No one can eat just one. Okay, maybe one platefull.:rolleyes: I am glad my wife just left for the store to buy some bacon.

Back