Deep frying a turkey

I used the wrapped bird technique last year.

Don't do it.

Your right greg. It's skewed.

It took me about 5 minutes to lower it in, then I had to use a sauce pan to take about 32oz out.

Heres what I think happened.

I put in a wrapped bird. Filled it with water. The bird is wrapped and has an air cavity, so it floats. I had to gently hold it down, so that I could get the exact hieight of water over bird, to simulate full oil coverage.

Took out the bird and marked it.

filled to that exact point, and it was way too much.

I will do that method again this year, cuz no mess in putting in a wrapped bird, but I will back off about 2 inchs That should be fine (for me)

So lets start another controversy.

Saw it down both ways.

Do you fry legs down, standing up, or head down legs up?

I did legs up last year without tying. Farking thing look like it was fried while running away (wings were flapped out)

Looked funny. (tasted fine)

I will do that method again this year, cuz no mess in putting in a wrapped bird, but I will back off about 2 inchs That should be fine (for me)
I still would not try the wrapped method.

Other solution: I could use my 110 quart pot, fill it half way with a fark load of oil and drop at least 4 full sized birds in there all at once.

Standing up with legs down, wings and neck flap pinned. Didn't use to pin wings until a couple fell off last year......Toothpick mod.

Always did mine ass up, I like to watch it wiggle when it hits the oil.

ass up.......guess if legs were up, they were going to heaven huh Brian!?!?

Thought if the ass where up the legs where to ? You have backasswards turkey's in Georgia ? Anyway been a while since I heard "Oh Heaven".

willkat98 said:
I used the wrapped bird technique last year.

Don't do it.

Your right greg. It's skewed.

It took me about 5 minutes to lower it in, then I had to use a sauce pan to take about 32oz out.

Heres what I think happened.

I put in a wrapped bird. Filled it with water. The bird is wrapped and has an air cavity, so it floats. I had to gently hold it down, so that I could get the exact hieight of water over bird, to simulate full oil coverage.

Took out the bird and marked it.

filled to that exact point, and it was way too much.

If you used a wrapped bird to establish the oil level, than unwrapped the bird the oil would now fill the air space and there should have been less oil, not to much. Unless the brid was floating when you marked the pot. :?
Gary

The best use for a turkey fryer is for cooking mountain oysters in big batches. I suppose it would also be great for big fish fries, large chicken fries, and big batches of French fries. And if I had the setup I would probably try a turkey. But first somebody would have to give me the fryer for Christmas or something. Hey, I bet a big fryer would be great for camping also, wspecially if you catch a lot of fish at the same time. Now that I think about it a fryer might be a good thing to have.

Mnt Oysters - No thanks?

Turkey: I usually give it 10-15 minutes minimum.

I thought Mountain Oysters were bulls nuts. .

Also wasnt aware that cows can have balls. ?? :? Dont cows have them utter dings.

Ideally mountain oysters are grilled :D traditionally on a hot shovel - I don't know why a shovel but that's what I've seen.

Mountain Oysters are usually bovine nuts (and you're right! cows don't have balls :D). Lamb fries are lamb nuts and they ARE deep fried.

Ever see Chevy Chase in Funny Farm. Must rent. Breaks the lamb fry record with 30 (wait, 29, since he spits out the last one when he finds out what it is)

Anywho.
The fact that David has this inside knowledge on the subject scares me. Picture that picture he posted in LowCarb forum, after 26 miles, feet killing him, he plops down in front of a shovel full of Bison Balls. Scary. Applies cooling gel as needed :)

So David, while contemplating slamming me back, it would be awesome for you to slip in a story where you serve like 500 pig nuts to these charity cooks you do.

"Hey Guys, served 2 tons of Blue Balls this weekend to the N.O.W. this weekend." That would be a thread.

BBQchef33 said:
I thought Mountain Oysters were bulls nuts. .

Also wasnt aware that cows can have balls. ?? :? Dont cows have them utter dings.

That's right a cow you stump break a bull you say HELLO and run like hell !!!!

Back