Awesome my WSM is assembled

If it has skin on it it is probably the lower part of the arm. It's the part below the Boston butt. Nice sweet meat. Makes fine Q. I like to leave the skin on and crisp it. Most probably pull the skin and season.

He might have purchased the whole shoulder, but the ham is the back legs. Kind of confusing lol

They cure shoulders like they do hams. That's what my parents bought to feed all of us with 'cause it tastes like ham but was a lot cheaper than ham and we had a large family to feed.

Saw an interesting idea for homemade fire starters on a website.....they took the round, quilted cotton pads used for face cleaning, and soaked them in unscented candle wax. When they dry....you just light them. Might try it.....probably wouldn't take as long to burn through as the fire starter cubes.

Damn. It's in a bag if that means anything
If it looks like a christmas ham it may be from the back leg possibly cured. If it looks like an arm its from the front shoulder. Pics would be nice

Smoke leaking is very normal, most bend the metal to seal it or replace the door. after a bunch of good cooks the grease will seal it a little better.

They cure shoulders like they do hams. That's what my parents bought to feed all of us with 'cause it tastes like ham but was a lot cheaper than ham and we had a large family to feed.
I have yet to see that lol. In CA its difficult to get large cuts like brisket. Pork is getting easier to find. Its sold in whole shoulder, butt, or cured ham is most common.

Best way to fire up a WSM is a weed burner. Harbor Freight ~$35 You don't need a chimney. Concentrate the flame in 4 spots, and add the wood chunks on top. Should take you 8-12 mins to lighter up. I would also send back your Maverick thermometer and get yourself a thermopen. It is much more useful in probing meat for tenderness and temperature. I know its expensive, but it next to the smoker itself is the one piece of bbq equipment you will really need.
http://youtu.be/eKKDWbfCm-w

That looks like the picnic cut which is the lower side of the shoulder. The top part is the Butt and its not cured so that will work.

That's a Picnic section of Shoulder - I actually prefer over Butt cuz it has a lil stronger taste. I remove the skin to get more Bark. :thumb:

WSM will leak a little less with each cook.

Awesome thanks fellas. I might try it tomorrow, haven't got a rub yet though. I wish I had enough dillo dust left lol

I like this Rub on Butts n Picnics - get at Kroger or Walmart . Plan on 8-10 hr cook running. 275-300*.

Best way to fire up a WSM is a weed burner. Harbor Freight ~$35 You don't need a chimney. Concentrate the flame in 4 spots, and add the wood chunks on top. Should take you 8-12 mins to lighter up. I would also send back your Maverick thermometer and get yourself a thermopen. It is much more useful in probing meat for tenderness and temperature. I know its expensive, but it next to the smoker itself is the one piece of bbq equipment you will really need.
http://youtu.be/eKKDWbfCm-w

I personally disagree.... chimneys work great evenly lit coals.

The maverick or other pit monitor is essential. Doneness is best left to "the feel" and the maverick has a meat probe too. Pit temp dictates everything. Cook time, rubs, when/if to wrap, most everything, is affected by pit temp

Thermapens are a luxury. A $15 instant read takes temp in under ten seconds.

I personally disagree.... chimneys work great evenly lit coals.

The maverick or other pit monitor is essential. Doneness is best left to "the feel" and the maverick has a meat probe too. Pit temp dictates everything. Cook time, rubs, when/if to wrap, most everything, is affected by pit temp

Thermapens are a luxury. A $15 instant read takes temp in under ten seconds.

Ditto cept no mav, just a stick

Back