$3.79 lb for Pork Belly????

check your butchers in the local Chines Grocery stores..

I always get my fresh pork in the Chinese grocery stores here in Houston (Hong Kong etc..)

bonesless shouders run ~ $2.10
Skin on, nice meaty Bellies ~ $ 2.19
Boneless fresh ham ~ $2.25..

I bought a case of 3 full pork bellys (about 30-35 ish pounds) last year for $2.19/lb.

No way I was gonna pay the full retail price of fully processed bacon for the same stuff they make it out of! :evil:

"Creative shopping around" is the key, just like with many meats.

TIM

Picked up 10 lbs for 3.50/lb today. If my bacon turns out good, I will then try to get a case for a reduced price. I went to an asian market and they had sliced and chunks of belly, but I couldn't find any one who spoke English to ask about whole bellies.

i hear there is a shortage of pork especial;y with china buying up alot of pork,this is also due to the drought over the summer causing grain prices to go up-feeding pigs has become expensive

If you've got an Asian mkt in your area they might have a better price. Here in Austin I pay a buck 79 a pound for a ten pounder.

In the DC area you might want to look in the Latin American supermarkets (mercados). Best Way & El Eden have skin on pork bellies at decent prices. My Spanish is horrible, but I've had luck getting large bellies from both places.

I know we have a Spanish grocery store here in town. I will have to check with them. I am not sure about the Asian supermarket. It seems like we might one if them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the DC area you might want to look in the Latin American supermarkets (mercados). Best Way & El Eden have skin on pork bellies at decent prices. My Spanish is horrible, but I've had luck getting large bellies from both places.

Great info!! Thanks.

Ditto on the Asian markets.
I can get it locally for ~2.29lb with skin on.

Same price in California at the Asian markets as it was in Georgia.

Thanks guys!!! I found it at a local Hispanic Grocery for 1.99lb.. The guy said they carry it all the time. I am stoked to not have to pay 3.79lb! I was wondering though, do these Hispanic markets have pass meat inspections.. I would think so, just wondering.

that's what I pay at Whole foods so you can assume that's on the high end. It's in the park though

Thanks guys!!! I found it at a local Hispanic Grocery for 1.99lb.. The guy said they carry it all the time. I am stoked to not have to pay 3.79lb! I was wondering though, do these Hispanic markets have pass meat inspections.. I would think so, just wondering.

They have to pass just like any other market would

Last time here, I payed 1.99 per pound, just a month or so back. I called yesterday to make sure the buther had some and they are up to 2.59 per pound.

I have checked all all the asian markets here, and none carry pork belly. One carries sliced pork belly, but not whole.

I can get them at RD by the case lot at something around $2+ a pound at least the last time, but it was a 60 pound box and I have no where put that away. I just ordered 15 pounds of Neiman Range bellies from Whole Foods $5+ a pound -- making bacon for Christmas presents along with smoked salmon, cheese and almonds

Back