"making" smoking wood

JDBOULDER

Reaction score
I have some branches and small logs from my fruit trees that we cut last year.
I cut off the ends and split them in chunks.
It that the correct way to make wood for BBQing??

Pretty much! Just cut wood into chunk size, viola!

OH.....well, I think this is debatable.
Some folks (I hear Myron Mixon does it) use green wood. I usually dry mine, but just because. I usually dry firewood so I guess that's why.

Chunk will dry out a lot quicker than in log form. Leave it in a crate or something that'll get good air flow and it's dry when it feels dry I guess. You can usually tell when it's gotten rid of it's moisture.

Stack it in a way which air can flow around it should be good to go in 6months , also it according what type of climate you live in if you live in the desert whith low humidity it will dry a lot quicker.

Just gave my chop saw & hatchet a work out yesterday on some donated cherry. Fist sized is good. The smaller branch pieces can be mixed in with the charcoal for a longer smoke time.

Yup, as people reminded me when I asked a similar question though, don't be running logs through a mitre saw, that seems to be a recipe for injury.

Yup, as people reminded me when I asked a similar question though, don't be running logs through a mitre saw, that seems to be a recipe for injury.
My opinion, for the smaller pieces he mentioned, you can control them better in a chop saw than you can using an ax or hand saw. For branches, I use a radial arm saw with a notched piece of wood to safely secure them against the saw fence.

When I cut down my apple tree I used a chainsaw to cut the trunk and all branches 4" and bigger into about 4" thick discs then chopped at those with the axe to get fist sized chunks. Those chunks took about a month to show cracks and make me confident it was dry. I'm about 30% thru the wood I got in a year's time.

Sweet. I've got a maple in the yard I'm going to trim up a little bit this weekend. I'll have to cut up some of the branches and stash them in the garage until fall. :thumb:

You can use it today if you want. It will take a little longer to smoke but it will work. I took some pear cut about 5 hours earlier and smoked some tenderloins with it a month ago for the food editor of the local paper. The recipe made the paper on June 1st.

I cut down a hickory tree on my property and smoked with it the same day once , I found the smoke a little strong / bitter. The same wood however , months later , seemed much smoother. Keep in mind though , I am in no way an expert , this was just my experience.

I just posted about this last week and if you can give the wood some time to "season" and loose any green wood then its a cleaner smoke but if you prefer stong smoke flavor then you get that with fresh cut wood better. I have plenty of apply to experament with.

I used to have access to peach and cherry tree cuttings, and they were great for smoking wood. And, I couldn't beat the price -- free.

As for age, if these are from last year, you should be fine.

CD

Back