Welcome home, new BGE!!!... and a request for tips for a newbie

My wife makes ceramic pottery, so I will ask her to make me 2 sets of feet - 1 set for below the egg and 1 set for going under the pizza stone when making pizzas.

The egg should have come with a set of feet. My dealer gave me an extra set with purchase. He said they always have extra since most people use the nests.
jon

when you get the daisy wheel set, if you orient it this way, it won't move everytime you open you egg.....

0c0c65af.jpg

fccba683.jpg

1e864d19.jpg

line the screws up from front to back.

The egg should have come with a set of feet. My dealer gave me an extra set with purchase. He said they always have extra since most people use the nests.
jon

They don't come with feet anymore. They stopped about a year ago. You can ask if they have extra though. A lot of shops do but the newer shops generally don't

yep. I have the white nomex and the new gray hi temp. I think you are correct in that the new hi-temp is not nomex but some other material. Seems to perform the same. No issues on hi temp pizza cooks etc.

Thanks, I did not know BGE had changed the Gasket material, glad to hear they did.

It may be good advice to still do a few low temp cooks to help set the Gasket before any high heat cooks...

3)- Normal grid level. You will want to look into ways to raise and lower your grid and use multiple cooking levels. 2 best places are: www.ceramicgrillstore.com (adjustable rig- my set up.) and www.ceramicgrillworks.com (2 tier swing rack). both great guys and great products to get the most out of your egg.

What he said. CGS will help you spend your savings wisely :-D Unless you plan to cook a lot of burgers or steaks at once, you can get the cast iron grate for the small BGE, put it on the "spider" from CGS and cook very close to the coals so that you do not have to build a monster fire for searing. The 13" pizza stone on the spider makes an excellent heat deflector... Consider the "Customer Combo" from CGS... has the basic Adjustable Rig, spider and more.

You'll quickly learn that (if you're cooking indirect... with the platesetter or spider & stone) that the hottest part of the Egg is the highest... Of course, things are reversed if you're cooking directly over the coals.

You'll also learn that, if you overshoot your target temperature, the Egg takes a LONG time to cool back down. Start closing the lower vent when you get within 50° of your target temp. Use the lower vent for major temp. adjustments. Fine tune with the "daisy wheel" I often leave the daisy wheel (Dual Function Metal Top... in Egg vocabulary) off completely unless I am cooking less than 275°

Thanks, I did not know BGE had changed the Gasket material, glad to hear they did.

It may be good advice to still do a few low temp cooks to help set the Gasket before any high heat cooks...

They just did it a few months ago. You can tell the new material because it's a shade lighter than the old. If they weren't right next to each other, you couldn't tell. Really glad they did that too. That was a real issue. It performs very well. I've only had it on for a few cooks and my nomex has been on for a year or so. but it appears to perform about the same

3)- Normal grid level. You will want to look into ways to raise and lower your grid and use multiple cooking levels. 2 best places are: www.ceramicgrillstore.com (adjustable rig- my set up.) and www.ceramicgrillworks.com (2 tier swing rack). both great guys and great products to get the most out of your egg.

What he said. CGS will help you spend your savings wisely :-D Unless you plan to cook a lot of burgers or steaks at once, you can get the cast iron grate for the small BGE, put it on the "spider" from CGS and cook very close to the coals so that you do not have to build a monster fire for searing. The 13" pizza stone on the spider makes an excellent heat deflector... Consider the "Customer Combo" from CGS... has the basic Adjustable Rig, spider and more.

You'll quickly learn that (if you're cooking indirect... with the platesetter or spider & stone) that the hottest part of the Egg is the highest... Of course, things are reversed if you're cooking directly over the coals.

You'll also learn that, if you overshoot your target temperature, the Egg takes a LONG time to cool back down. Start closing the lower vent when you get within 50° of your target temp. Use the lower vent for major temp. adjustments. Fine tune with the "daisy wheel" I often leave the daisy wheel (Dual Function Metal Top... in Egg vocabulary) off completely unless I am cooking less than 275°

all very true and well stated although I always use my DFMT. Personal preference though. I know lots of people who don't and they are great cooks.

WOW! Again, I am reminded why I love this place so much. You folks are fabulous.

So brother marty Leach does make the bigger handles. Yay!

Thanks for the set-up tips. I will post updates when I get to that part. Trying to scope out different plans and such for a table. The Naked Whiz site has a lot of info for a table, and most folks seem to have followed those.

About the dasiy wheel on top - for other charcoal cookers, temp is controlled by the intake and the exhaust is always left wide open. It sounds like the exhaust is also adjusted when cooking with an egg?

Thanks again for the ton of great info so far.

WOW! Again, I am reminded why I love this place so much. You folks are fabulous.

So brother marty Leach does make the bigger handles. Yay!

Thanks for the set-up tips. I will post updates when I get to that part. Trying to scope out different plans and such for a table. The Naked Whiz site has a lot of info for a table, and most folks seem to have followed those.

About the dasiy wheel on top - for other charcoal cookers, temp is controlled by the intake and the exhaust is always left wide open. It sounds like the exhaust is also adjusted when cooking with an egg?

Thanks again for the ton of great info so far.

Forget all the other cookers. it's different. You are just going to have to tweak your temps until you become one with the egg :)

Everything you learned on gassers, offsets, webbers, UDS's etc are not relevant to ceramic cookers. It takes a bit to learn but it;s a great cooker once you do. Just ask away and we'll be here

Forget all the other cookers. it's different. You are just going to have to tweak your temps until you become one with the egg :)

Everything you learned on gassers, offsets, webbers, UDS's etc are not relevant to ceramic cookers. It takes a bit to learn but it;s a great cooker once you do. Just ask away and we'll be here

Much appreciated. Can't wait to get started. :thumb:

yeah, I figure it can't hurt to break it in slowly and season it like with many other things (cars, cookers... wives... but don't tell her I said that).

Came across this pot lifter which a number of folks have used to lift their eggs. Posting it here in case someone else finds it useful.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/PotLifter-200-Pound-Gardening-Heavy-Lifting/dp/B002ECFFJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356054570&sr=8-1&keywords=pot+lifter"]Amazon.com: PotLifter 200-Pound Gardening Heavy Lifting Tool: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

when you get the daisy wheel set, if you orient it this way, it won't move everytime you open you egg.....

0c0c65af.jpg

fccba683.jpg

1e864d19.jpg

line the screws up from front to back.

Thank you for reminding me I'm an idiot!:doh:

yeah, I figure it can't hurt to break it in slowly and season it like with many other things (cars, cookers... wives... but don't tell her I said that).

That's a good attitude. Cook some burgers and pork chops and a beer can chicken to get comfy with it all before trying high temp steaks or low temp briskets or pizza. These all work out very well but a little experience will make it a lot easier.
The main thing I can tell you is to relax if the temp gauge isn't exactly where you want it. The food will cook well anyway. It's cooking, not an engineering project!

Enjoy your new Egg.

That's a good attitude. Cook some burgers and pork chops and a beer can chicken to get comfy with it all before trying high temp steaks or low temp briskets or pizza. These all work out very well but a little experience will make it a lot easier.
The main thing I can tell you is to relax if the temp gauge isn't exactly where you want it. The food will cook well anyway. It's cooking, not an engineering project!

Enjoy your new Egg.

I am so looking forward to it. Really want to get started on building a table and settign it up, but I am working over the holidays and will have houseguests, so no time for myself :mad:

Oh well. Good things come to those who wait.

Back