Bacon Question?

chrischandler71

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I finally got my first pork belly. It came with the rind on still. I was thinking I needed to remove it before I cured and smoke the belly. We have a set of dull kitchen aid knives, and after about 10 min wrestling with this thing I decided to go look for a video of how to do this. Well what I learned is too just leave the skin on till after I smoke it. Is this correct? I went ahead and put my cure on it, so I hope it's okay to do it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES!

When it's done smoking, carefully remove the skin, leaving as much fat as possible. Cut up the skin into small squares. They are delicious in salads, soups, etc.

And the good news is the skin comes off WAY easier after smoking!

seattlepitboss

Thanks... I asked for some Victoronix knives for Christmas. I may have to go and buy a knife to help me with this belly. I asked for the Slicer, a 8inch Chef, and a pairing to get me started. I look forward to trying this bacon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to admit I have never hand-sliced home-smoked bacon. I bought a broken Globe slicer (old, very cheap) a few years ago, took it all apart, bought another junker for parts, put one together, sold off extra parts to recoup $$. Now I have a fully automatic Globe slicer I only have $100 or so into.

It does a really great job on bacon. Even better on home-smoked hams, which to me taste best sliced really thin.

seattlepitboss

So I finally got my first pork belly. It came with the rind on still. I was thinking I needed to remove it before I cured and smoke the belly. We have a set of dull kitchen aid knives, and after about 10 min wrestling with this thing I decided to go look for a video of how to do this. Well what I learned is too just leave the skin on till after I smoke it. Is this correct? I went ahead and put my cure on it, so I hope it's okay to do it this way.

I leave the skin on and remove it before slicing ......

Next buy a boneless butt and cure it. Then roll, tie, and smoke it.... Makes great buckboard type bacon for sandwiches on bagels or rolls.

Back