BBQ Brethren "Sandwich" Throwdown!!!

Okay, I didn't melt and I haven't been banned, so here is my entry to the sandwich TD.

I love a good steak sandwich, but didn't want to do a traditional steak sandwich.

I started with my basic ingredients. Flat iron steak (which is one of my favorite cuts of beef), some bell pepper and onion, some Boar's Head provolone cheese, and a good bakery roll.

picture.php

Next, to get ahead of the game, I made up a dressing for the sandwich with equal parts spicy brown mustard and mayo, with a few dashes of Louisiana hot sauce.

picture.php

While the charcoal chimney was getting the coals ready, I sautéed some onion and bell pepper on the stove -- sorry, but it was 106 outside, so I did some of my cooking in the kitchen.

picture.php

Once the coals were ready, I tossed the flat iron steak on the grill to cook.

picture.php

Once the steak was cooked to medium rare, I pulled it. While it rested, I toasted the bread on the grill.

picture.php

I then sliced the nice red meat...

picture.php

I then spread the dressing on the toasted roll, piled on the steak, topped it with the sautéed onions and peppers, and some provolone, and put it back on the grill just long enough to melt the cheese.

And here is the finished sandwich.

picture.php

It was really good. The dressing worked perfectly with the beef. The roll was crunchy, the cheese was melted just right, the onions and peppers were just right, it all came together better than I could have imagined. And, I almost didn't cook it because it was too farking hot outside. :laugh:

CD

Oh great moderatus please accept my humble submission into the Chicken Sandwich TD.

Wifey brought home a couple of chicken back ribs from the store, so I figured heck I'll make a sandwich. My Dr. said I need to cut down on the sodium so I lightly seasoned them with SM season All to draw out some moisture then hit them with some George Clinton free Chubby Checker/Larry Graham.

Here they are on the Avocado, temp was between 275 and 300 with a chunk of pecan.

Ribsongrill.jpg

Here they are after about 3 hrs and passing the tooth pick test, I was like where's the beef?... err I mean poultry.

wheresthebeef.jpg

I made a nice toasty bun and caramelized some onions, bell pepper and mushrooms I needed something to de-glaze the pan and wasn't sure what to use when sitting right in front of the fridge was a jar of BH Tennessee Red, sounds like it could be good.

sammie2.jpg

I've never had a beef back rib sandwich... errr I mean chicken rib sandwich but it was so good and the onions, bell pepper, mushrooms and Tennessee Red topping was incredible, I'll be doing that again for sure. Thanks for looking

just a sandwich entry

I started with a packer cut in half to fit in the containers, I injected with mortons tender quick solution and then brined tinder quick with hony and pickling spices added for several days. After removing from the brine and plain water soaks to remove excess salt. then coated with ground pickling spice, pappy's low salt seasoning and pepper.
7673433870_7f063f5459_z.jpg

apple and cherry wood was used for smoke
7673431856_de27b6cb99_z.jpg

UDS was kept at about 225 until probe tender
7673435516_23b0458386_z.jpg

the smaller piece was done first and hand sliced
7673436614_37a79bf7a3_z.jpg

7673438786_34fbc9a84a_z.jpg

(I needed a snack:becky:)

the other piece took another 3 hours
7673437668_7aed1f9bce_z.jpg

it was refrigerated overnight then sliced with the proper precautions
7673444656_367aff2c61_z.jpg

7673451554_399949f1f8_z.jpg

7673455514_842935d67b_z.jpg

Now to build the sandwich with black rye and spicy brown mustard
7673486540_0b0b1640a9_z.jpg

Dill pickles
7673493684_ef8670c2df_z.jpg

steamed pastrami
7673481210_423c95675d_z.jpg

7673498856_4592cfc785_z.jpg

Swiss cheese
7673503184_04316d67c6_z.jpg

One for me and one for wife.

7673509278_1775f2be67_z.jpg

I have an idea and ingredients for a sammich entry, but I'm having a hard time getting motivated. It's 105 degrees on my patio, and it's only 3:00. If I do it, I'm going to have to just cook the meat on the grill -- that is the the main element. I like to do as much as possible on the grill, but the rest will need to be done in the kitchen.

CD

Is it done yet?

:confused:

More delicious sammies!!

tarhog -- looks like a blast of flavour, love the idea of avocado to balance the marinade and grilled veggies and the grilled mango looks fantastic

caseydog -- I'm really glad you cooked, too -- love the grilling steak shot and flat irons, too -- the final plate of toasted bun, melted cheese and mustard/mayo dripping is gorgeous -- I see you have lower sodium provolone available, I'll have to see if I do, too

Will work for bbq -- beautiful pic of the finished ribs, holy cow, I mean, holy chicken -- the sandwich with glossy carmelized onions/peppers/shrooms looks really really good

Crazy Harry -- I can see why you needed a snack while slicing -- beautiful pastrami, it's more inspiration to me to try it -- just love what you made the sandwich out of, I want one

Moose -- another pastrami sandwich, man, I've got to get into this too -- past failure vindicated for sure -- looks really good and I love Frenchs yellow on each bite of a smoked meat sandwich too, something beautifully nostalgic about it

Back