/*/*/*/ North Texas Brethren Spring Bash - April 12th, 2014 \*\*\*\

CD, we'll have some extra space for you need it.

Hope to see you there Saturday!

Thanks. I am really fearful when it comes to drinking and driving. A DWI in Texas costs more than my car. If i make it, I will bring a tent, just in case.

My car is a Mini Cooper, so the most I can bring with me as far as a cooker is a SJP and a bag of charcoal. I do grilled chicken legs that people always seem to like on that grill.

Or, I can make a side. I've been itchin' to do a big batch of Jamaican "rice and peas." It is pretty awesome stuff, and if there is already enough meat, it would make a good side dish, that I think most of you farkers will like. I made it for the first time a few months ago, and it blew me away.

Anybody want to voice an opinion on which I should make?

CD

I'm not a huge fan of peas but my love of Caribbean rices strongly outweighs my aversion to peas...

CD, i'm a big fan of Jamaican food (and can speak for Totally Basted that he is too) and rice and peas sounds really good. He is bringing chicken thighs and/or quarters and we can even do some jerk style if you have the spices.

Speaking of Jamaican food, have you been to Taste of the Islands in Plano? Very tasty food there from some real nice folks.

http://tasteoftheislands.net/

Alright gents, we are getting close!

I'd love it if everyone had a look over the list and to see if there is anything else we might need in terms of food, supplies, etc.

Link to spreadsheet

Please bring your own drinks and please heed CD's advice below:

BTW, I have camped at Isle du Bois Branch at Lake Ray Roberts many times. It is a nice park.

If this has not been mentioned, public display and consumption of alcohol is against the law in Texas State parks, but Isle du Bois Branch rangers are not going to mess with you, as long as you don't make them. Put your beers in koozies, your cocktails in non-descript cups, and pass the Cabo bottle when they are not around -- and don't be an arsehole -- and the rangers at Isle du Bois will look the other way.

As I said, I've camped there many times, and yes, I and my friends drink there. We have NEVER had any issues with the rangers there. Don't force them to lay down the law, and they won't lay down the law.

CD

SpicemanJames just sent me a message saying he won't be able to make it. That leaves brisket missing, so if anyone wants to make one instead of what they planned, I'm sure we would all be open to one :wink:

LEGENDS BBQ may be up for it as he had hinted he wanted to do a brisket, so I am checking with him directly, but give it a thought.

It can't be a Texas Bash without the Official State Meat of Texas! :becky:

Last edited:
Is anyone else other than me heading our Friday night to camp? My kids aren't coming now. Just wondering if I'll be solo all day and night.

I'll be there with my wife, kiddo and FIL from Friday afternoon through Sunday at check-out time. Others that are camping are:

- frognot, his wife (?), and his son (Totally Basted) - but I think they are only camping Saturday night
- dwfisk and his son - pretty sure they are camping both nights

Is anyone else other than me heading our Friday night to camp? My kids aren't coming now. Just wondering if I'll be solo all day and night.

Mac & I will be at the State Park by late afrernoon/early evening, camping Friday & Saturday nights. Was wondering if the campsites have park grills, I suppose we will need to figure something out for dinner.

Random question, anybody know if dogs are allowed? If so I'll probably bring mine. She's a sweetie and doesn't get out nearly enough.

Mac & I will be at the State Park by late afrernoon/early evening, camping Friday & Saturday nights. Was wondering if the campsites have park grills, I suppose we will need to figure something out for dinner.
Which site type did you get? Walk up (no water / electric) or Drive up (with water / electric)?

They all list either grill or fire ring. IME, they usually have both or the fire ring can be cooked on. Check it out and give me a ring if you need any supplies and you can come check out what I got at my campsite. I have some cooking grates in my camping gear.

Last edited:
Random question, anybody know if dogs are allowed? If so I'll probably bring mine. She's a sweetie and doesn't get out nearly enough.
https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/parkinfo/rules_and_regulations/

(c) Animals. Except as provided in this subsection, it is an offense for any person to bring into a state park, possess while in a state park, or release into a state park any species of animal. A pet or equine may be brought into and possessed within a state park as provided in this subsection.

Pets. It is an offense for any person to:
(A) bring into, possess, or permit to roam within a state park a pet, unless the pet is secured by a leash not exceeding six feet in length, confined in a vehicle, or confined in a suitable cage;
(B) bring into or possess within a state park an unattended pet;
(C) fail to immediately collect and properly dispose of fecal material deposited by a pet for which a person is responsible. For purposes of this paragraph, “properly dispose” means to deposit fecal material in an appropriate solid waste collection container;
(D) bring a pet into an area where pets are prohibited;
(E) permit a pet (except a trained assistance animal accompanying a person with a disability) to enter into or remain in any building or enclosure designated for public use including, but not limited to, a restaurant, snack bar, cabin, lodge room, restroom, park store, shelter, refectory building, amphitheater, administration building, or railroad coach;
(F) permit a pet in the water of a designated swimming area or to permit a pet animal (except a trained assistance animal accompanying a person with a disability) within the land or beach area adjacent to the water of a designated swimming area; or
(G) possess a noisy, vicious, or dangerous pet, or a pet which creates a disturbance to or hazard within a state park;

Must be attended and on 6' max length leash or confined.

Pets are fine as long as they are controlled. The six foot leash thing is like the drinking thing, as long as your pet doesn't bother anyone, the rangers are pretty easy-going on the rules.

Again, my own experience at that park is that the rangers only get tough if they are pushed into getting tough.

CD

Which site type did you get? Walk up (no water / electric) or Drive up (with water / electric)?

They all list either grill or fire ring. IME, they usually have both or the fire ring can be cooked on. Check it out and give me a ring if you need any supplies and you can come check out what I got at my campsite. I have some cooking grates in my camping gear.

Thanks. Hoping to get a drive up with water & electric at Deer Ridge.

Thanks. Hoping to get a drive up with water & electric at Deer Ridge.
Then look for Colt when picking your spot, cuz that's where we'll be!!! Or give me a ring and I'll tell you our spot number :thumb:

I'm not a huge fan of peas but my love of Caribbean rices strongly outweighs my aversion to peas...

I guess I should have pointed this out... the "peas" in Jamaican rice and peas are actually beans.

CD

I guess I should have pointed this out... the "peas" in Jamaican rice and peas are actually beans.

CD
Oh, then HELL YEAH! I love Caribbean rice and bean dishes!!!!

Back