Is this decent for a UDS?

castlepines

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Lately I've been thinking about making a UDS, specifically for larger cooks and also to give me something to do this winter. Of course, Big Poppas makes this easy but i still have to come up with the barrel. I found these on CL. Since they had fruit juice in them previously, are they considered the "food grade" that Big Poppas recommends? Besides being unlined is there anything else I should look for in a drum?

http://meadville.craigslist.org/for/4081398425.html

Most drums I get at work that previously had juice in them have a liner. I think yours does as well. No biggie, just burn it out.

Most drums I get at work that previously had juice in them have a liner. I think yours does as well. No biggie, just burn it out.

Hmm...so what does BPS mean when they say "food grade" then? It seems "food grade" means "liner" but they say it should't have a liner. :confused:

Hmm...so what does BPS mean when they say "food grade" then? It seems "food grade" means "liner" but they say it should't have a liner. :confused:
Liability wise they have to tell you food safe..those drums will work great just do a good burn, sanding with wire brush and a good wipe down.

Big Poppa is AWESOME...the basket lifts up to sear or grill , it's amazing. It's very very versatile.

Hmm...so what does BPS mean when they say "food grade" then? It seems "food grade" means "liner" but they say it shouldn't have a liner. :confused:

Food grade = liner to protect the drum from acidic materials (Fruit Juices), and/or protect the materials from leaching metal (think of how canned vegetables taste. Some of the "tinny" taste is from the unlined can they came in.

Non-Food grade = no liner, because the things they held weren't necessarily acidic (VOCs, oil, gasonline, brake fluid, etc) or corrosive.

Unlined barrels are easier, because you can go straight to build and season and cook. No burnout is required.

Last edited:
If it says FOOD Grade It has a Liner unless it has Oil in it. You live in a Port city you should be able to find a reconditioned Drum easily it will not have a liner drill a few holes & get ta cookin.

If you get a food grade barrel with the liner, I would recommend having it sandblasted inside and out. I did this with mine and it simplifies the process, saves time, and you end up with a clean barrel.

Also, a removable lid is necessary unless you plan on adding a Weber dome.

That's the exact same ad that I bought my drum from! The drums held apple juice concentrate in them and it has a brown liner. It burned right out, I picked mine up from his Murrysville location for $10.

I have considered getting a barrel from him but from the pic they appear to be fairly thin walled/light weight. How is the drum you bought?

I will probably get my drum from Penn Barrel. They have reconditioned that are unlined.

Back