View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #22
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
LOL.. It depends who u ask. If you ask my stubborn old italian grandma about sugar in the sauce, she will flash you the stink eye, throw up the horns and start yelling in italian something about making her turn in her grave.

i have found(and as vinny eluded too) that different brands have different levels of acidity. There are some brands that I avoid all together(red pack for instance) becase the tromatoes are very bitter compared to others. Rienzi, Luigi Vitelli, Nina, and the D.O.P san marzanos will yield a sweeter sauce than most store brands or domestic. Also, if you break the sauce by allowing it to come to a rapid boil will also make it bitter.

It's funny, I'd probably react exactly the same way as your grandmother, but my pizzas are the only time I'll use sugar in tomatoes. My Italian wife doesn't understand why I'll cook down a batch of bolognese for four hours either. I can't stand the taste of sugar in pasta sauces, but it doesn't take much to tone down the tomatoes for the pizza and I can never taste it. Usually since there isn't much compared to the cheese and toppings.

Since I don't actually sauce the tomatoes, I'm not sure carrots or vidalias would work, though it's a good idea, if I ever make a non-Chicago style pie I'll give it a try, thanks!

I hear you on the variety of the tomatoes, this was the first year for the garden for my wife and I and our tomatoes... well... the heirlooms kick butt, but the romas, not so much. Super incredibly bitter when canned. Ah well.