• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My first GBA event....

wrenfro12

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have only cooked for KCBS events. I am going to the Ga Hog Jam in Blairsvillse, Ga and was wonder if I understood the rules correctly......The is no garnish allowed at all for a GBA events?

+1 above. Also, ribs define tenderness differently. KCBS says "bite through", where GBA follows MBN in where it should "pull cleanly from the bone with only slight resistance".

Is GBA also "whole shoulders" only?

MEAT CATEGORIES: The following categories are sanctioned by the GBA.
a. Pork Ribs: Loin back, baby back or spare ribs only. No country style ribs.
b. Pork Loin: May be bone in or bone out, Must weigh 5 pounds or more.
c. Pork: Whole shoulder, Boston butt, Picnic or Whole ham. Must be cooked as a single piece of meat.

Welcome to the GBA. I think you will like our organization. As stated above, no garnish - just meat in the box. One hint -- fill up the box. GBA judges like to see full boxes. The rules state at least 6 separate pieces. You can do that, but if you want big scores, fill up the box. Its not unusual for a GBA box to have 10+ spares or 15+ baby backs. If you present sliced loin, try to get the slices about pencil width thick. You can sauce the meat in the box or on the side. If you go with sauce on the side, ask the contest rep for sauce cups. Oh & be sure you prepare enough meat for finals. The top 3 in each category advance to a final round & turn in another box.

Jim Sewell
GBA Master Judge; Contest Representative; Webmaster

Thanks for the information...I am new to competitions this year and having a blast. I have already planed on doing twice as many next year.

Back