In the market for an offset smoker

I REALLY like the look of the new 20" x 36" LSG model. It comes in at 1500 which is about the most I will spend right now, but after another 300 in shipping Its just not an option.
Don't know how long you intend on owning the cooker but if it's a lifetime $300 more is a drop in the bucket, if it's not affordable right now be patient and keep saving the founds to get what you really want, buy once cry once.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Don't know how long you intend on owning the cooker but if it's a lifetime $300 more is a drop in the bucket, if it's not affordable right now be patient and keep saving the founds to get what you really want, buy once cry once.

I was going to post this as well. I understand having a $1,500 budget but LSG gets rave reviews and if it were me, I would just save up 300 more.

I've heard good things on meadowcreek but I'm not sure if anyone here has their smoker, I've seen few posts about people owning their grills

I was intrigued by Yoder, but have heard too many issues

I agree with this sentiment for sure. I think what I like about the look of the LSG over the Lang is the ability to cook over the firebox. I like the side door paired with the top door on the fire box. I won't use the griddle plate but think I may use the grill grate. Finish chicken after smoking maybe, not sure. Does anyone get a lot of use from the grill over their fire box?

I saw that shop and checked outlaw smokers website. I only see pellet grills.
They are owned by Sawtooth Pellet Grills, the difference in the pellet grills is the Outlaw is a made from 1/4" steel, don't know anything about that offset.

Last edited:
I second the Old Country Brazos, it's one of the cheapest 1/4" steel offsets you can find and performs great. I've had mine for over a year now and still love it.

Would you mind letting me know what the shipping quote from Lang comes in at? I'm in West Linn and have wondered it would cost to ship a Lang here.

Thanks,

Matt
Lang quote came in at $500. That puts it right at the same cost as the LSG after $300 shipping.

I second the Old Country Brazos, it's one of the cheapest 1/4" steel offsets you can find and performs great. I've had mine for over a year now and still love it.
Those pits are not 1/4". At least the one I owned 5 years ago wasn't. It was a good smoker and we got a ton of use out of it but I'm going to try something else this time around.

Lang quote came in at $500. That puts it right at the same cost as the LSG after $300 shipping.
Thanks, that's in the ball park of I thought it would be.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Those pits are not 1/4". At least the one I owned 5 years ago wasn't. It was a good smoker and we got a ton of use out of it but I'm going to try something else this time around.

Damn Sure Are. Brazos is 1/4”. Pecos is 14 gauge. Wrangler II is 14 gauge. Wrangler is 11 gauge. Over n Under is 14 gauge. Smokehouse is 14 gauge (except mine :mrgreen: ) Angus is 3/16”.............

My local HD had this on the floor and I hate to admit that I stood there and played with it for far too long.

kingsford-barrel-grills-sc2162903-kf-77_1000.jpg

You'll go blind.

They are owned by Sawtooth Pellet Grills, the difference in the pellet grills is the Outlaw is a made from 1/4" steel, don't know anything about that offset.
The Portland BBQ shop said that outlaw only has one model and it's about 6-8 week lead time. He also said he just sold the smoker he had in hand so he would have another in 6-8 weeks I could come look at.
I'll reach out to outlaw as well and confirm all that.
Portland BBQ said they sell them for $1499.

The Portland BBQ shop said that outlaw only has one model and it's about 6-8 week lead time. He also said he just sold the smoker he had in hand so he would have another in 6-8 weeks I could come look at.
I'll reach out to outlaw as well and confirm all that.
Portland BBQ said they sell them for $1499.
Never owned an offset but more than likely will one day, a couple of things that bother me about the Outlaw is the exhaust placement above the grate, no upper grate and the length of the stack seems too short but I'm no expert.

Damn Sure Are. Brazos is 1/4”. Pecos is 14 gauge. Wrangler II is 14 gauge. Wrangler is 11 gauge. Over n Under is 14 gauge. Smokehouse is 14 gauge (except mine :mrgreen: ) Angus is 3/16”.............
My mistake. I haven't owned or used a brazos specifically. 14ga or so is about what I remember however.

I Would get the New 20”x 42” LSG. Save a lil longer like several have said or partial finance -whatever. Doesn’t sound like you’ll be Happy with anything on lower end and it’s the Best Deal going on a Quality Pit.

I Would get the New 20”x 42” LSG. Save a lil longer like several have said or partial finance -whatever. Doesn’t sound like you’ll be Happy with anything on lower end and it’s the Best Deal going on a Quality Pit.
I think you are right. I was planning 36". 42" is only another 100 though, just didn't think I needed that much capacity. Hmmm.
I'm going to send out some models I have been working on to get the metal quoted for building one as well. Now that the Yoder's are off the table and I'm basically at the point of spending 2k after shopping I may just go that route.

I am wondering what all of you think about having a cooking grate over the fire box. Do you guys get a lot of use out of it? If so what are you typically using it for. I never used it in my old smoker so I am not sure why the fire box design of the LSG caught my eye.

I am wondering what all of you think about having a cooking grate over the fire box. Do you guys get a lot of use out of it? If so what are you typically using it for. I never used it in my old smoker so I am not sure why the fire box design of the LSG caught my eye.

I always have good intentions of using it to cook some steaks or chicken after a long bbq but I usually have too much meat made anyway. I'm mostly lazy and stick with the Weber gasser when doing direct grilling.

If you do a lot of direct grilling with charcoal then I would say it's a good option to have.

Back