A little whole hog for lunch.

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Last Tuesday one of the doc's at the vet practice where my son is working (yea Dr. Kyle is out of vet school and an employed DVM) shot a wild hog and I was asked to cook lunch for today. It dressed out to about 60 pounds and was skinned. Due in large part to the sage advice I picked up here, the cook was a success.

First, I fabricated a rack out of some re-purposed rebar and some used $3 SS racks I picked up at our local restaurant supply so I could take the cooked hog out of the smoker and transport to the luncheon about 20 minutes away from the farm.

005_zps5d98149a.jpg

On with the hog, injected with apple juice, rubbed with yellow mustard and dry rub. On the cooker at 2:45 AM this morning at 250*-275*.

001_zps1f0ba3b9.jpg

Spritzed with 50/50 apple juice and apple cider vinegar hourly for the last 3 hours then off the cooker at 10:30 AM, IT pushing 195*-200* and probing tender with a skewer. The bark was pretty amazing.

008_zps3e3c1927.jpg

Removed from the pit, rack & all to foil wrap and a cooler. I sized the rack to fit my largest cooler, a 128 quart Igloo Marine, it worked great. I took the lid off the cooler, laid down foil and set the grate on the inverted top, wrapped it up good then lowered the inverted cooler over the hog to match with the top and secured with a cargo strap.

009_zps9284aae0.jpg

When we got to the luncheon, we removed the tie down strap and bottom of the cooler and just used the inverted top of the cooler to catch drippings as Kyle and his brother Mac did the pulling and then it was self serve. And there was a kitchen full of pot luck sides and deserts everybody brought in for the event.

010_zps1498ef82.jpg

Everybody had their fill and said how much they liked the wild hog pulled pork. The wild hog meat was very lean and I think the injection and spritzing really helped with the taste and keeping it from drying out. By the looks of the carcass afterword I think they might have been telling the truth.

011_zps6e44770b.jpg

Thanks again to all the advice and thanks for lookin.

I'm gonna guess you had the most impressive dish for the potluck. :clap:

Looks fantastic! :thumb:

That looks great!

That said, can you imagine being a customer and walking in to see your vets feasting on some unknown animal?:shock:

Thanks, the rack idea came from DownHomeQue, I just sized it to my cooler. Came up with the idea for the inverted cooler & lid trying to think out how to do the transport and service using stuff I had. Foil wrapped and in the cooler, it stayed hot from 10:30 to 11:45.
Excellent upside down cooler idea.:clap:

Oh My Damn.. that looks GREAT!

Bravo, Bravo!!:clap2:

Get that man a beverage and a big chair!!
The boy can clean up...:laugh:

How did the flavor compare to domestic hog? I can only imagine the apple juice helped a ton.

Thanks for sharing Dave.:thumb:

Thanks, Cowgirl uses wiskey in her spritz, I decided to reserve if for direct injestion in about a 1/2 hour :icon_smile_tongue: We could taste the apple juice injection, the mustard slather and rub and the apple juice/apple cider vinegar spritz, but the wild hog still had a noticeable wild game taste. Don't get me wrong, it is good, but not something I would care to eat all the time over domestic pork. I will say that skinning the hog (my first) allowed us to really develop an amazing bark compared to cooking a whole hog skin on. I'm thinking our next attempt will be a skinned, corn fed domestic, but hey if one of those wild porkers gets in the way or starts tearing up pastures again I'll be cooking another!:becky:
Bravo, Bravo!!:clap2:

Get that man a beverage and a big chair!!
The boy can clean up...:laugh:

How did the flavor compare to domestic hog? I can only imagine the apple juice helped a ton.

Thanks for sharing Dave.:thumb:

Thanks, Cowgirl uses wiskey in her spritz, I decided to reserve if for direct injestion in about a 1/2 hour :icon_smile_tongue: :becky:

You're supposed to have enough whiskey for both. :becky:

Looks mighty tasty!! :thumb:

Back