Thaw Time In a Refrigerator

Porcine Perfection

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have a cry-o-vac package of two boneless pork butts in my freezer weighting 14 pounds total. If I move them down to the refrigerator, how long it will take them to thaw?

Thanks in advance everyone.

depends on how cold you keep the fridge, and how often it's opened.

That could take close a week in my 34 degree beer fridge, that is opened at least a couple of times per night.

That was about what I figured but the last thing I wanted to do was put something on the smoker that was frozen in the middle.

Thanks everyone!

I wrap large frozen meats (Butts, loins, hams, chickens, turkeys. briskets, even ribs) in towels and put them in the cooler until the outside begins to soften up a bit. Then they go into the fridge. Don't have anything to compare with but I imagine it takes a day or two off the thaw time. A lot of variables involved like mentioned above. Room temp, weight of the meat, fridge temp, etc... YMMV. Cheers!!!

I put large frozen cuts on the counter for a couple of hours on a towel just to get the ball rolling, then put into the fridge to finish thawing. Never for chicken though, as it goes straight into the fridge from the freezer.

I put large frozen cuts on the counter for a couple of hours on a towel just to get the ball rolling, then put into the fridge to finish thawing. Never for chicken though, as it goes straight into the fridge from the freezer.
You should put it under running water as per the HD code for thawing meat. Please everyone take a servsafe course. Mine take 4 days in a thaw fridge set at 40° I have 4 fridges and 4 chest freezers to work with.

you can also fill a clean bucket or sink with cold water and drop your butts in (in package) and change water every 2 hours, they will defrost faster than you think. Good Luck

I wrap large frozen meats (Butts, loins, hams, chickens, turkeys. briskets, even ribs) in towels and put them in the cooler until the outside begins to soften up a bit. Then they go into the fridge. Don't have anything to compare with but I imagine it takes a day or two off the thaw time. A lot of variables involved like mentioned above. Room temp, weight of the meat, fridge temp, etc... YMMV. Cheers!!!

This is basically what I do.

Update: Just for a data point... Tuesday evening I wrapped a cryovac package of Pork Spare Ribs (2 full racks) in a bath towel & placed in the cooler. This morning (Thursday @ ~36 hours) the surface temp of the package was 34F and the ribs were beginning to flex so they went into the fridge. They could have gone longer in the cooler but probably not another 10 hours while I was at work. YMMV Cheers!!!

Back