• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

hickory smoked salt

DSC01117.jpg

This is the stuff I use in some rubs that I do. I use it alot for steak and burgers with black pepper.
If I remember correct it's only 2.95 a pound Check out there web site it's on the package.

SmokeyBear said:
http://www.carolinesrub.com/hickory_smoked_sea_salt.asp

Anybody use this stuff or something like it? I'm thinking it might be really good one steaks and burgers.
Yes .. both this salt and their lemon pepper. Seems like right after I got mine there was a problem they had controlling quality of their hickory salt source. Nice people to deal with. You should consider contacting them and get current status. I'm stlll using and enjoying these two products.

I have a container of Hickory Smoked Salt that I got as a gift.
I havent figured out what to do with it yet. Hopefully, I will get a few
ideas from this thread.

BBQ_MAFIA said:
I have a container of Hickory Smoked Salt that I got as a gift.
I havent figured out what to do with it yet. Hopefully, I will get a few
ideas from this thread.

It works great when you make jerky. Use it instead of regular salt and leave out any "liquid smoke" in the recipe.

Yes I use this in my rubs and it seems to work ok, but only use a little (refer to the word salt in hickory smoke salt) this can be a bad thing if too much is used. JMO.

Check out one of Steven R.'s books. He talks about how to use and make hickory smoked salt. Sounds easy but I have never tried it.

Use smoked salt anytime you are grilling or cooking and want smoke flavor without using wood as a fuel source.

I made it once over a year ago and only ran out last month. Spread the salt on a sheet pan. Toss it in the smoker and stir it occasionaly. Taste it and take it off when you think it is to your liking, depending on how you plan to use it, a stronger flavor may be desirable.

I use hickory smoked salt in my rub. It has a strong flavor, a little goes a long way.

I also have it in a salt mixture that I use for steaks & burgers.

If I've room in the smoker I always smoke some salt (or garlic, nuts, etc etc). If I've too much I give it away in work.

I smoke my own kosher salt as well. I keep a mason jar full of it around at all times.

Back