logo

Too much wood for my WSM?

Biggen

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Going to be cooking an 8 lb butt tomorrow. Got the fire ring filled up with
Stubb's in prep for my 8+ hour burn time. My question has to do with the wood in the ring. I have 4 big apple chunks pushed into the charcoal and 1 smaller hickory chunk at the 3 o'clock position.

Is 5 chunks too much? Or am I worrying about nothing?

8518726243_9797e3b184_z.jpg

Looks just fine. Do you have to worry about moisture and your charcoal leaving it out overnight?

Great! Thanks guys I'll leave it alone.

Looks just fine. Do you have to worry about moisture and your charcoal leaving it out overnight?

If it was the summer I might be worried. But it is supposed to get down into the mid-30's here tonight in North Florida and the humidity is below 50% so I think I should be ok.

I always have issues burying wood like that in my WSM. Usually I start with a couple once the meat goes on and add to it every few hours.

That is exactly the setup I've been using for years. You got it perfect, IMO.

two waterlogged chunks of wood is enough. soak the wood in water overnight i soak at least for 6 hours before i bbq

I always have issues burying wood like that in my WSM. Usually I start with a couple once the meat goes on and add to it every few hours.

What issues have you had, if I may ask?

two waterlogged chunks of wood is enough. soak the wood in water overnight i soak at least for 6 hours before i bbq

Since we are all looking for a clean burning fire which produces " sweet blue smoke", many of us do not soak the wood chunks.

Tests show that there is minimal water penetration in wood soaked for several hours so it may not make much difference, but it does seem to be unnecessary, if not counter-productive.

Just remember, if you don't see smoke coming out of exhaust, it doesn't mean you need to add more wood. Smell the exhaust, you will know that you just have a nice clean burning fire, but the aroma still smells wonderful.

Many new BBQ people are under the impression that there needs to be gobs of visible smoke coming out. This is so wrong on so many levels. Thin blue to invisible smoke is the best kind.

Wow, HankB! Now I think I Need more! ;)

Well I have the butt on. Got it rocking and rolling at 6am this morning. I'll start another thread dedicated to that cook with pictures.

The amount and type of wood used will also depend on just how smokey you like your meat, myself I like a more deep smoke taste so if I was using apple myself I would use more and add a little during the cook but I usually use hickorry and start with about 6 chunks and add a few as I go but then again thats just me. The age of the wood I think also is a determining factor.

Back