Smoking a turkey: How long would it take for a 15 pounder?

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hello

I was wondering if anyone could give me a basic guideline on how long it would take to smoke a 15 lb turkey? A general run of thumb on time per pound would do as well.

Yes I know I should be using temperature not time to know when to pull something off the smoker. I'm totally on board. However, my question is more geared towards planning when to start in order to serve the food fresh and on time.

Thanks!
Sam

Most of what I have read is 1/2 hr/lb at 225.

I have a "homey-made" smoker, from a converted upright freezer (ie, lots of area in the smoke chamber). I put my bird in for 6hrs, but the temp was at 200. My internal temp was 160 at the breastbone, so I finished it in the oven at 400 for about 1/2 hr. This got my internal temp to 182. The side benefit here is I was able to baste the outside of the turkey with butter before I finished it in the oven, giving the skin an nice crisp texture. The bird was fantastic!

As long as you have a remote thermometer plugged into the breast and get the internal temp to 180, you should be good to go (as you probably already know).

Happy Holidays, it will be the best turkey you've ever had!

Pirate

Thanks for the replies...

I should have mentioned I intend on cooking it at 225-250.

i think turkey is done better at a higher temp, i always do mine at 325, just as black and byte. I did one at 225 and it was definitley dryer than i liked and was a little to smokey. just a thought

For cooking purposes, I usually say 20 minutes per pound at 300-325. For a turkey that size, I'd give yourself 4.5 hours but be prepared to pull it after about 3.5 - 4 hours in case yours cooks faster.

Answer: a long time!

Why so low? It's not bbq.

I smoked one about 13 pounds in two and a half hours in my wsm on Thanksgiving at around 325 or so.

I agree with what Mr. Russell said...no need to torture yourself. It is foul and no need for long cook times at low heat. In fact...hotter temps lead to less cooktime and crispy skin...trust me...I've done it both ways and am kicking myself for trying the fast method for the first time this thanksgiving.

I cooked an 18#er at Thanksgiving on my WSM. At 325-350 - nice natural temp for this unit without water in the pan, it took about 4 hours. 2 hours straight on the rack - 2 hours in a pan and foiled so it wouldn't get dark and have an oversmoked taste.

Like others have mentioned here, birds tend to turn out much better at higher temps - helps retain moisture.

Back