Anybody Tried Something Similar with BGE???

Dale in GA

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a BGE but am also interested in cold smoking sausage. A friend of mine set me this photo of a rig her nephew made...Has anyone tried similar with BGE?

Attachments

• Cold Smoker.jpg
    Cold Smoker.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 222
I have a BGE but am also interested in cold smoking sausage. A friend of mine set me this photo of a rig her nephew made...Has anyone tried similar with BGE?

Sorry, no information for the BGE, but I think you just showed me what to do with one of my offsets 8). Thanks for the idea.

Someone is thinking outside the box. What a novel idea. Thanks

Is it lined? Would that plywood outgas? Just wondering if it would add any flavoring on it's own.

Was curious about the plywood myself, but the first thing I thought of when seeing that Pic was one of the cheap kettles that I got from Odd Lots for the cold smoker box. Couple of mods and I could probably hook it to the exhaust of my offset.

Great ideas and thanks for the links. The rig used was plain old plywood, I worried a bit about the outgassing but you could easily line with foil or similar to aleviate. The temp 185 F so I think risk is minimal....

Great ideas and thanks for the links. The rig used was plain old plywood, I worried a bit about the outgassing but you could easily line with foil or similar to aleviate. The temp 185 F so I think risk is minimal....

Isn't 185 F awfully hot for cold smoking? Maybe I'm thinking about cheese only (I was told to keep below 90 F) but I guess fish and vegetables would need higher?

I think the 185 is in the plywood box, not in the offset.

I have cold smoked cheese in my Egg by using a very small fire (a couple of briquettes) with wood chips for flavor. I put in the platesetter and put a pan of ie on the platesetter to keep things cold. It worked well.

Someone is thinking outside the box. What a novel idea. Thanks

or...

someone is thinking an outside cold smoke box. Brilliant!

Basically making your own scaled down, old fashioned smoke house

How about pulling an Alton Brown on this concept?

Rig your smoker, (off-set, BGE, UDS), with an exhaust hose.

Set up a new cardboard box with some cook racks. Smoke whatever cold smoke stuff you'd like. Smoke something like fish (that produces oils that could taint future smoked foods), heck - recycle the box, clean the cook grates, and make a new one.

BGESmokerBox.jpg

I wish I knew who to credit for this, but I got this in an e-mail from one of the visitors to my cookin' site. They use the Egg for a smoke generator. Look close, there is an exhaust vent on the cooler top to insure good draw. I bet you could do the same thing with a cardboard box, and it would be disposable when you are done.​

Awesome! Cold smoking some salmon or whitefish might be pretty dang good. Even if it isn't pork. :)

I wish I knew who to credit for this, but I got this in an e-mail from one of the visitors to my cookin' site. They use the Egg for a smoke generator. Look close, there is an exhaust vent on the cooler top to insure good draw. I bet you could do the same thing with a cardboard box, and it would be disposable when you are done.​

I can imagine with the right length of piping, the right size of smoke chamber, and the right size of fire in the "smoke generator" you could do some very controlled temp smokes.

My wife's half Japanese, so we do a lot of sushi on occasion. I'm going to have to snag some wild caught salmon or even some rainbow trout soon and set something like this up.

Back