Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Lang 48 $1895.00

Votes: 50 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoolsbyMD

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Budget is not in there for the 48 Deluxe. I have been green lighted for 2k on a smoker. I'm leaning towards the 48 patio, reason being i won't be away from the house with it so I can use the oven as a warmer or even the Stumps Baby. Currently it's just my wife and I planning on kids... Soon... :shock: family does come over and love my bbq i always end up doing big cooks for July 4th and thanksgiving etc. I picked the 48 cause I have always read you will wish you got the biggest smoker possible. However i could always end up running both smokers as "you could take a monkey bash his brains out and he could run one of those" and get the 36 that would save some money to get the wife something or something else. So I'm all ears brethern.

If you want a stickburner, sounds like you're barking up the right tree.

I've been doing a bunch of research on Langs, and a lot of what I've read says the warming cabinet on the deluxe is more like a cold smoker than a holding bin--it runs too hot and will continue to cook your meat. Better to use a faux cambro anyway.

Like you said, if you need to do really big cooks, fire up more than one smoker.

Maybe talk to TuscaloosaQ and see what he can get you for your budget I don't have one but I hear his stuff is top notch.

Get the largest you can...I wanted a 48 deluxe ended up with a 60 deluxe... now I want a 84 deluxe:grin: Bigger is better!! :wink:

Go Noles!!

If you are not going to use the warmer, I'd go with the larger pit. I have a warmer and wouldn't want to be without it (I also use it as a cooking chamber and low temp smoker). At the same time, if you know that you will need the warmer more often than the extra real estate of the 48's main chamber, then that works too.

Sounds like the best choice for you would be the 48. For home use I'd rather not have the warming box as I like to preheat my splits on top of the fire box.

Sounds like the best choice for you would be the 48. For home use I'd rather not have the warming box as I like to preheat my splits on top of the fire box.

I'll echo this. Get as much space as you can because you'll want more eventually. You plan to go get it or have it shipped?

Maybe talk to TuscaloosaQ and see what he can get you for your budget I don't have one but I hear his stuff is top notch.

I really did think about them and look up smoker made by them but shipping cost I'm sure is expensive as AL is a bit to far for a weekend.

Budget is not in there for the 48 Deluxe. I have been green lighted for 2k on a smoker. I'm leaning towards the 48 patio, reason being i won't be away from the house with it so I can use the oven as a warmer or even the Stumps Baby. Currently it's just my wife and I planning on kids... Soon... :shock: family does come over and love my bbq i always end up doing big cooks for July 4th and thanksgiving etc. I picked the 48 cause I have always read you will wish you got the biggest smoker possible. However i could always end up running both smokers as "you could take a monkey bash his brains out and he could run one of those" and get the 36 that would save some money to get the wife something or something else. So I'm all ears brethern.

Get the largest you can...I wanted a 48 deluxe ended up with a 60 deluxe... now I want a 84 deluxe:grin: Bigger is better!! :wink:

Go Noles!!

picture.php

P1010018-1.jpg

The capacity of a Lang 48 patio is 10 butts comfortably. if you can find a used one around 1,000 - 1400 used (in good condition and well maintained) go get it. One caution... you may end up enjoying filling her up... tends to shrink from constant use. Been there, done that, bought it.... three times! Just look at my signature.

Road trip, I'm about 8 hours away and the wife's parents live another hour south in Jacksonville.

That's not too bad. I was planning on a 36" Patio until I found something on CL. Both of my parents were raised in J-Ville but migrated north to Savannah were my brothers and I are from. I think you'll be more than happy with your 48".

I have a 48 and use it just for the backyard. I think it is the perfect size. Something to think about, while the tank size is 48" long, the lower grate is just 36" long. Grate space is lost at each end and on the 36 I'm thinking real estate would be sadly lacking.

Now mine is one with the rounded ends and the newer ones may be set up a bit different, but I'm sure there will still be some "grate loss" at each end.

Im having my TQ pit shipped 478 miles, the cost is not more than fuel and one night hotel.

PM me if you need the shippers info.

I would give Paul ( TQ ) a call, I think you will be please with his service.

I really did think about them and look up smoker made by them but shipping cost I'm sure is expensive as AL is a bit to far for a weekend.

48's are nice; bigger to a point is better. If you are having it shipped you may want to take a look at Lone Star Grillz http://www.lonestargrillz.com/ as they offer an awful lot for the money. I am very happy with my new one.

I haven’t cooked on a 36 or a 48 but I would recommend a 48 because of the larger space.
Although not one of your options, I believe the Lang 60 is the best size as it is fine for those times when you want to cook a few rack of ribs and big enough for those times when you want to cook a 100 Pound Pig. I’ve often said that I’m not a supporter of the Bigger is Better Theory. It’s important to know up front what the intended purpose of your pit will be and then buy accordingly.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

If I was planning on a pit just for home, I would not spend the money on a warmer.

I normally believe in bigger is better, to an extent. The 36 is a great size, especially if you only cook for a group on the rare occasion, but I think the 48 is a much better all around size.

I've seen where they are offering a stretch version of the 36".. I think there's a video on Youtube.

It's basically the same size tube as the hybrid 36" but without the chargrill built in. Single door.

It's not listed on their website.. but I sent Ben an email today requesting a quote. I'll post the price if I hear back.

Back