Is it possible to extend a thermometer probe?

P

pritchardhallhokie

Hey Everyone,

I'm loving this forum so far and I have another question. I have a grill replacement thermometer for my UDS, but the probe is only a couple of inches long. I'd love to extend this further and the only thing I can find online is that you could possibly use a copper wire and wrap it around the probe and stretch it out. Is this possible or is that a joke? Anyone had any experience extending a probe? I don't want to spend anymore money on this thing and I have a bunch of wire available.

Thanks everyone!

Hey Everyone,

I'm loving this forum so far and I have another question. I have a grill replacement thermometer for my UDS, but the probe is only a couple of inches long. I'd love to extend this further and the only thing I can find online is that you could possibly use a copper wire and wrap it around the probe and stretch it out. Is this possible or is that a joke? Anyone had any experience extending a probe? I don't want to spend anymore money on this thing and I have a bunch of wire available.

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately the probe was manufacture4d to be that specific length and you would be unable to extend it. The copper wire may give you an extension, but I would have great reservations as to the accuracy of the thermometer at that point.

Like "Big Belly BBQ" said, buy one with the length you desire or buy one with a re4mote probe where you can place as desired.

http://www.teltru.com/s-43-barbecue.aspx

Good luck...

Wal mart has turkey deep fry thermos for around 6 bucks..12" probe,goes out to the middle of your drum..I have one in mine & works great..small 2" dial though..But if you want to make life really easy,tell Santa to drop you a Maverick 732 digital therm in your stocking!! I got one a couple weeks back & love it..

Back