Ribs losing flavor

gcs

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I noticed that when my ribs come off the smoker they taste great, but if I try and hold them a couple hours they seem to lose some flavor. They're still good and the tenderness and juicyness is there, but they just seem to lack something.
Is it just my imagination? anyone else notice a similar issue?

Could be our taste buds, but I like pork ribs fresh out of the smoker. Leftover ribs just aren't as tasty to me.
Now I could eat beef ribs all night. I've been known to wrap a beef rib up, stick it in my coat pocket for a midnight snack while camping. :thumb:

Gosh - It seems to me that left-over ribs simply soak in the smoke flavor and tase even better the next day/

Is this just your opinion, or your guests as well?

I find that when I cook, and spend all day in the smoke, the food simply tastes flatter without the smoke flavor after it leaves the cooking area. Then, often, the next day, the flavor is better.

How are you reheating your ribs? Do not reheat anything in microwave. Reheat ribs in a covered skillet, set on simmer and wait for the goodness.

I notice if I foil too long they taste a bit washed out.

Greasy fingers, lol,
Usually they get eaten right off the smoker, or a short ride on the grill to char them up a little. This time I started earlier and wrapped them in alu and placed in a warm oven till supper, about 2 hours or so till my son got home from work.

They were good,a little over done, but I had one fresh off the rack, just to make sure they were edible...:-D, that to me, was a scootch better. I've had ribs the next day before that were just as good as day one. I don't know...probably overthinking this. Still better then the best restaurant ribs I've had around here.

My thoughts are, if I find myself in this dire predicament again, is to just refrigerate them till the opening act and give them a fast trip on the grill.

It's all good...just curious if anyone else noticed this.

I agree.. add some extra rub toward the end of the cook or maybe add more salt beforehand.

Back