Canadian Bacon

93vpmod

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I cured some CB using the Morton's Tenderquick dry method that I found in a thread from Cowgirl. Trimmed the loin down to 4lbs., cured for five days, rinsed and water exchanged multiple times before smoking.

Now on the UDS-trying to stay close to 225 as I take it up to an IT of 155* also sprinkled with a little black pepper and some SM Season All.

I plan to let it rest, place in the freezer for a short time to make slicing easier. I am looking forward to Eggs Benedict tomorrow morning!

My smoker crutches that allow me to work and smoke!

I am smoking tasso right now, and was contemplating some CB in the near future.

CD

Off the smoker...I couldn't resist a little taste as it was going to take a rest.

This is gonna be awesome...this was easy and even I couldn't FARK it up!

BC79AE9E-BF86-4E27-B379-8FBDD1939856-891-000000955397EBC7_zpsf3f9b4ff.jpg

CE8EA3A8-1DD3-4A28-ACD9-DA0BE0786A67-891-000000955B5C8726_zpsd4e618a7.jpg

Looks really, REALLY good! I'd like to try that some time but I'm going to truss the loin first to give it a nice circular shape.

Not a huge deal but it looks like you had the food and BBQ probes in the wrong sockets. If you had it the other way you could use the alarm feature and it will tell you when your bbq temp goes over or under a set point.

Probed adjustment

Not a huge deal but it looks like you had the food and BBQ probes in the wrong sockets. If you had it the other way you could use the alarm feature and it will tell you when your bbq temp goes over or under a set point.

Thanks AJP!

I was distracted with work and my five yr old and didn't pay any attention when I stuck the probes on, knew the cool one was the loin, hot had to be the grate temp. Funny thing I did think about the alarm later.

I have had the Maverick 6 months and never used the alarm...too much OCD here. That or too lazy...hopefully, I can find the motivation to read the directions to set the target temp soon.

Thanks AJP!

I was distracted with work and my five yr old and didn't pay any attention when I stuck the probes on, knew the cool one was the loin, hot had to be the grate temp. Funny thing I did think about the alarm later.

I have had the Maverick 6 months and never used the alarm...too much OCD here. That or too lazy...hopefully, I can find the motivation to read the directions to set the target temp soon.

I really like the alarm for sleeping. My WSM runs pretty steady on temp, but I worry at times. If I am shooting for 225 I set the alarm for less than 220 and greater than 230.

Back