KCBS judging class on Long Island, NY. Sept 10, 2005

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
For our NY, NJ, CT area Brethren......

KCBS judging class here on Long Island in Franklin Square. Sept 10, 2005. Franklin Square is less than an hour east of NYC.

Class Information:
Instructors: Jerry and Linda Mullane KCBS Master Judges

Fee: $70.00 (Non KCBS Members), $45.00 (KCBS Members)
Date: September 10, 2005
Time: 10 am – 3 pm
Place: Grill Kings HQ, Franklin Square

https://www.grillkings.com/Pages/JudgeCertification.asp

It was fun and knoweledgable. I learned NOT to make a brisket using tequila .

RE: judging class

Smoker (Steve) Ribsnwings (Will) and Tim (Tbone?) and I were all there. Tim and Steve got certified, Will cooked and I played table captain and set the food up for presentation.

Jerry and Linda Mullane were the KCBS master judges who taught the class and Dean Camastro (sp?) of the Grill kings was host. It was a real good time.

I got to alter the taste of a few of the presentation dishes. It was a lot of fun destroying Will's brisket with a good dousing of teqiula. The judges in training all tasted it and their faces went white. :twisted:

The presentation boxes were nothing like what is prepared at the contests. First, there were illegal entries and garnish was minimal if at all. Boxes were resused from one category to another. Preping 48 boxes is a real pain in the ass.

The mullane's need shoulder to be sliced, but didn't tell Will so it was cooked to pulling temp. It was fun trying to get sliced pork out of that.

thanks for the info guys. would have liked to have made it, but... had to work.
phil

thanks for the info guys. would have liked to have made it, but... had to work.
phil

Excuses, excuses! :D

I'm hoping the organizers do a KCBS CBJ class before the Plant City Pig Jam in November. Adding CBJ to my judging certs will allow me even more exuses to go to cookoffs!! :D

For those that are thinking about it - it's well worth the time.

What a great class!

Pulled up to the location of the class and observed a bunch of people mulling around, all with an odd look of hunger in their eyes! Yup, I was at the right place! My friend Nick (not a brethren member yet...) but the one who has gotten me into this new "hobby" and the rest of us absorbed a lot of great information by the presenters and then the smell of bbq began wafting through the air. The stomach growling started to get loud and we moved into our first judging of chicken. Each person had to judge 3 separate entrys for criteria including presentation, taste and texture. You can guess which 2 categories I enjoyed most!
There are a lot of things to remember during the judging and it's not as simple as you would think. Hey, I'm not complaining, the rewards are too tasty! We were tricked a few times by illegal items and one wretched tasting brisket (I put it on Nicks plate when he wasnt looking), but what a good time was had by all. Now, if we were only able to have beer instead of water and crackers....
Overall, a great bunch of people, an excellent time and a bunch of good bbq, including leftovers. And we all get to add "judge" to our resume's!
Tom (who also couldn't remember his Bretheren handle yesterday!)

Great post Tom.

Things to thing about there :lol:

FBA is "less challenging" and they might want to adopt some of the training techiques :lol:
Still good qualification training--just not as demanding or thorough!

Thanks,

TIM

Three members of the 2 Fat Polocks BBQ Team were there and we all thought it was teriffic. Kudos to Linda, Jerry, Dean and especially the cooks who were terrific at simulating all kinds of Q, both very good and bad.

To any of the guys who took this specific class with me :

I know Linda and Jerry mentioned it may take 6-8 weeks to receive anything.. Has anyone reiceved the KCBS Bullsheet, membership card or Judges shirts (if you paid for the shirts) ?

MilitantSquatter said:
To any of the guys who took this specific class with me :

I know Linda and Jerry mentioned it may take 6-8 weeks to receive anything.. Has anyone reiceved the KCBS Bullsheet, membership card or Judges shirts (if you paid for the shirts) ?

When I took the class (Spring '05) it took forever before we got the stuff.

Keep the faith brother!

I went to a class in the first part of June this year. They had a copy of the Bullsheet there for each of us and I started receiving my regular copies after that. Now as far as the membership card, certificate and judging name tag, it took right at two months to get it. The shirts followed shortly thereafter.

Just about the time you think they've forgotten all about it.....it'll all show up.

rbinms33 said:
Now as far as the membership card, certificate and judging name tag, it took right at two months to get it. The shirts followed shortly thereafter.

Just about the time you think they've forgotten all about it.....it'll all show up.

I understand that AT THE CLASSES they sell a CBJ pin so you have something that says you actually are a CBJ. I bought one at the Royal

They may have had them at my class but I sure didn't see them.

They had the pins for $3 at the Plant City class a couple of weeks ago. They tell you up front that it'll take many weeks to get your stuff (shirts, certificate, badge, etc.).

chad said:
They had the pins for $3 at the Plant City class a couple of weeks ago. They tell you up front that it'll take many weeks to get your stuff (shirts, certificate, badge, etc.).

Yeah, I think that the $3 pins are a new thing.

Good Idea IMHO

Back