Pineapple Grilling and Presentation Tips

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Needed!

Having a get together this weekend...

We are having many people over I have not met yet and would like to Wow them. It is just an Appetizer event. We will have Chips, Vegi's, Cake Etc...

I am going to do the Frito's stuffed with Sausage. Also picked up 3 large Pineapples (.99 each at Albertsons today) I searched here and found several Ideas using Brown sugar, Butter, Honey and Cinnamon Etc... Many use Rum, need something without alcohol.

Tell me how you grill them, direct or Indirect? Medium or High heat and how long? Is it better to add the coatings during the cook or after they are off the grill or both?

What I picture is some nice grilled Pineapple slices with a creamy white sauce, any ideas on this one? Does one even exist?

I grilled some on the Egg over a year ago but I definitely used rum in mine.

I cut the pineapple in spears (1" x ~4"), soaked them in rum/brown sugar, etc, and then grilled direct at a low temp (350?) for just a few minutes per side. I served them with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup.

I haven't seen them with a creamy white sauce, maybe you could use a simple syrup to make something like a donut glaze?

We've cut them lengthwise into spears, marinated overnight in Malibu coconut rum, then grilled them with good results. Maybe if you could find a Pina Colada mix (sans booze) it would work?

I think someone told me once they used olive oil instead of rum to marinade in the brown sugar. You can also use Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head.

In Dr. BBQ's book he cuts a pineapple length wise (Leave the stem) and hallows out the shell to place the cooked cubed pineapple in. You can cut the tops off the others and put on the plate too.

This is also a cool way to serve grilled pineapple.

Grilledpineapple.jpg

Quarter the pineapple and make a cut all the way around the interior, leaving the rind and the inedible core intact. remove the center section (the juicy pineapple) and cut into long individual piece. Reassemble and return to the shell to grill then push slices partially out of alternating sides.

I think pineapple kabobs would be easy to cook and serve with toothpicks.
Maybe a few different containers of dipping sauce on the side.
A pina colada, brown sugar syrup, cinnamon and sugar,
just an idea.
jon

This is also a cool way to serve grilled pineapple.

Grilledpineapple.jpg

Quarter the pineapple and make a cut all the way around the interior, leaving the rind and the inedible core intact. remove the center section (the juicy pineapple) and cut into long individual piece. Reassemble and return to the shell to grill then push slices partially out of alternating sides.

This one is what I am looking for, a neat presentation! Is the rind and core Q'd also for color?

Thanks all for the ideas!

This one is what I am looking for, a neat presentation! Is the rind and core Q'd also for color?

Thanks all for the ideas!

Yeah, plus the pineapple may shrink some when you cook it so by grilling the whole thing it ensured the pieces fit tightly.

They had a fresh (non-grilled) pineapple done this way at a resort I was at in Mexico so I stole the idea and adapted it for the grill. :biggrin:

Coconut-Grilled Pineapple
t.gif

Delectable! How amazing, even your dessert can be grilled. Perfect for tailgating or at parks, this dessert makes a barbecue a full meal.
t.gif

Serving: 6
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 32 minutes
</SPAN>

rfx3_recipe.gif

1 ripe golden pineapple
1 can (14 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 cups turbinado sugar or granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Sprigs of fresh mint, for garnish
1 quart vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, for serving (optional)

rfx4_recipe.gif

1. Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.

2. Peel, slice, and core the pineapple. Shake the coconut milk well before opening the can. Pour it into a wide, shallow bowl. Place the sugar and cinnamon in another wide, shallow bowl and stir
with a fork to mix.

3. When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Dip each pineapple slice first in coconut milk, then in the sugar mixture, shaking off the excess between each dipping. Arrange the slices on the hot grate and grill until nicely browned on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes per side. If a crosshatch of grill marks is desired, rotate
each slice 60 degrees after 2 or 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the pineapple slices to plates or a platter for serving and garnish with
mint sprigs. Or serve in bowls over ice cream, if desired. The pineapple can be served either hot or cold.

Variation:
A great variation on this recipe is to substitute melted unsalted butter for the coconut milk for dipping. Do not shake off the excess butter (or any oil) near the grill. This recipe also works well with bananas and stone fruit, such as peaches, plums, or nectarines. Use small bananas or cut large bananas in half crosswise sharply on the diagonal. When grilling stone fruit, cut them in half and remove the pits.

rfx5_recipe.gif

Based on individual serving.
Calories: 350
Total Fat: 8 g
Carbohydrates: 64 g
Protein: 6 g

I just bought a fresh pineapple the other day at Safeway. I shredded carrot and zucchini and steamed for 3-4 minutes, pan seared some scallops seasoned with Old Bay and topped with pineapple salsa I made with grilled pineapple, green onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice.

Grilling pineapple is easy, use med-high heat for 2-3 minutes each side. Use olive oil if you want nice pretty grill marks. Good luck, have fun.

Back