• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

One day cooks now "Jack" qualifiers...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
From the PNWBA forum...:tsk:

AT 15 TEAMS THIS IS A QUALIFIER FOR THE JACK DRAW!!!!

Registration is up! Entry fee is only $50.
http://canadaq.ca/events/north-surrey-bbq/
This is a FUN family friendly event and a great place for a brand new team to dip their feet in the pool!

This year at this "winner takes all" event the auto mall is giving away a 1 year lease on a 2013 car OR $3000.00 cash. We have great trophies and ribbons for each category and prizes will also be awarded for "People's Choice"

Sunday August 25th - 1 day lite cook

All 4 meat categories make up the GC points;
-Chicken
-Sausage
-Ribs
-Tri Tip
Salsa(optional)
Dessert (optional)

Last edited:
Actually, if I recall correctly, there is at least one, and maybe more, contest in the PNWBA that are grandfathered in for both the Royal and Jack as there are in KCBS. They don't meet the criterial for today but, in the late 80's and early 90's they did and, as long as they continue with the same venue and format, they are considered qualifiers.

Folks can believe what they want...what I posted is from the PNWBA forum...not something I made up for laughs. These new rules have cheapened the tradition of the Jack in my eyes...:tsk:

Just to back up John here. Yes you can get a Jack bung while winning a one day cook off in a contest with only 10 competitors if its the first year of the comp in canada. Worse thing is the top canadian Also gets a bung so in theory if an american wins 1st out of ten then the next placing canadian gets one too. 2 bungs given out of ten competitors. And in the case of the one that was dispute corn was a category. I was in this competition so I know

Why is that any different than NEBS grilling contests and those aren't Jack bids?

I think NEBS is pretty much there if they had an event with pork, chicken, and beef categories. Probably a lot more likely to be all pro teams too. This CA one is clearly being promoted as a backyard event.

Maybe next year NEBS can have a "Shake and Bake" grilling event giving teams 2 shots at the Jack in one weekend. :becky:

I saw them cook sausage and tri tip on BBQ pitmasters so it must be legit!

I think this kind of contest is a slap in the face to real competitions as far as being a Jack draw..it also opens the door for this type of thing to happen everywhere..it's simply not fair to the teams that work hard week in week out throughout the year..to me it's giving a draw to a team that shouldn't have one in the first place.

I agree with you Matt. However, many IBCA contests can be considered a one day cook also if a team uses a brisket flat. If I remember correctly, the JD rules only say beef, they do not specify what cut of beef. That makes tri-tip legal as long as the sanctioning body and team count are recognized by the JD. The change in language has to come from the JD folks otherwise this will become a regular type of contest just to get a bung. But you are correct, it doesn't seem right to all the other teams who cook all 4 meats.

I agree with you Matt. However, many IBCA contests can be considered a one day cook also if a team uses a brisket flat. If I remember correctly, the JD rules only say beef, they do not specify what cut of beef. That makes tri-tip legal as long as the sanctioning body and team count are recognized by the JD. The change in language has to come from the JD folks otherwise this will become a regular type of contest just to get a bung. But you are correct, it doesn't seem right to all the other teams who cook all 4 meats.

Yep...pretty sad...I can see it now...hamburgers (beef), hotdogs (pork) and wings (chicken) for a trip to the Jack! :crazy:

Yep...pretty sad...I can see it now...hamburgers (beef), hotdogs (pork) and wings (chicken) for a trip to the Jack! :crazy:

Unfortunately, under the new rules for international events, this appears to qualify.

It is not what we have come to know as "Jack Material" but it is what it is...

Interesting to see how this plays out for a draw ticket

Disheartening to say the least that the winner of this could be representing Canada versus some one who cooked all 4 meats at a KCBS (or similar) contest.

Makes me think I'm wasting my time and money competing in NY state against 25-50 very good teams.

Disheartening to say the least that the winner of this could be representing Canada versus some one who cooked all 4 meats at a KCBS (or similar) contest.

Makes me think I'm wasting my time and money competing in NY state against 25-50 very good teams.

Not necessarily Canada...a lot of US teams compete there and could win a bung for their home state with a GC.

They'll need a bigger barrel when this gets going and there are 100+ teams from 40+ States winning "qualifiers"

Perhaps Canada should not be considered International. I can't see any reason that Canada can't compete under the same set of rules as teams from the USA.

I have a chance with the new 'Shake and Bake' qualifiers, that was a great idea CBQ

Perhaps Canada should not be considered International. I can't see any reason that Canada can't compete under the same set of rules as teams from the USA.

Me either...it's not like they're a foreign country or something...:twitch:

Back