Somewhat urgent timing question

Dweverett

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I think I timed this poorly. I have two 7 lb butts on at 225. Started them at about 10 last night. They are sitting at about 170-175 right now (9:00 AM) I need to leave the house from about 10:30-12:30. Do I foil and crank up the heat to try to finish them before 10:30 or leave them be and assume they won't be too far gone by 12:30?

Foiled and at higher temp. One woot be a problem I don't think. Other is going to be tight

I'm thinking foil. If it needs a little longer you can rest still wrapped while your out.

Foil and leave them at your current temp.
Anyone going to be home to mind the cooker? I am not a fan of leaving a cooker going when no one is around.

I helped someone pull some butts that were taken off the cooker in the 180's. I basically pulled the fat cap off each one and discarded with the bone before pulling the rest. Not much bark, but it turned out fine. Absolute worst case you can remove the big fat after resting in foil prior to pulling. And like everyone else said... FOIL NOW. Then just transfer the wrapped butts to a cooler or foil pan and go.

If no one is going to be around to watch the pit would it be better to foil, pan and put them in the oven?

Definitely need to foil now, they should start getting close to done pretty quick.

Just pulled them. Smaller one is at 201 and feels great. Larger is about 195 but could use a little more time. Hopefully it will soften up some while resting in the cooler

Thanks for the advice

Back