So i have all my parts for my first UDS. however, i have not landed any expanded metal yet. i called a metal fab shop near me and the guy said he has some but he asked me what kind. i did not know so i told him i would call him back.

I am assuming he was talking about the guage but i really dont know because i dont know much about expanded metal. Can someone let me know the preferred type of expanded metal used. I tried skimming back through this thread because i remember reading about it, but i could not find it.

You want 3/4" x #9 if you want to do what Norco suggests. I did. :biggrin:

Expanded In Phoenix

I found Metals Supermarket here in Dallas, Tx and will be getting my 9 gage 3/4" Expanded metal from them.

Did a quick look on their storefinder and they have a store in Phoenix and lots of other places also.

Here's their web address:

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/MSC-Home.aspx

They have been nice folks to work with. (This is not an endoresement, I don't work for them, just trying to help folks find what they need.)

I'm getting about a half sheet because I'm building multiple drums, my cost will be about $13 for each 8 x 48 piece.

I found a shop that would do it for me but I would have to buy the whole sheet whether or not I took it all. It was going to cost about $100 but I would have had 12 8x48 pieces, not bad at $8.33 each but at most I needed 5 right now. So Metal Supermarket looks like my best bet.

Hope this helps you and others, expanded for a reasonable price can be hard to find.

Most shops, especially if they don't use the stuff much, are going to charge you for a full sheet. Metal supermarkets are a little higher but since you only need a little bit it's not too bad a price.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em (ribs that is!) :-D

brotherbd

So i have all my parts for my first UDS. however, i have not landed any expanded metal yet. i called a metal fab shop near me and the guy said he has some but he asked me what kind. i did not know so i told him i would call him back.

I am assuming he was talking about the guage but i really dont know because i dont know much about expanded metal. Can someone let me know the preferred type of expanded metal used. I tried skimming back through this thread because i remember reading about it, but i could not find it.

Whatchacallit?

By the way if you're not sure what you looking for to make your charcoal basket out of here's what you tell them you want or if you're on the net this is what it is.

Hot Rolled Steel, Expanded Sheet, .75 (or 3/4) x 9 gage, Flattened

Flattened is what I prefer you may want raised that's definately your choice.

This stuff is typically available in 4' x 8' sheets

If they just chop it off the end your diamonds will be vertical. You will probably want to try to have them orient the slit length with the length of your piece. If you want it horizontal make sure you ask for it that way, thay may also charge a little more because it requires them cutting the sheet in half and then rotating the piece.

Hope this helps,

brotherbd
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cart.aspx?ProductID=EXC349F

thanks

Brotherbd and HeSmellsLikeSmoke.....AWESOME! thank you both so much for your advice. this helps a ton! now i need to make a few phone calls and begin the build.
I just got my Drum back from the sandblaster (i cant burn it, i called the fire department and they said no, and my hoa said no) Anyways, it looks pretty good, not sure if i should clean it out with a rag and some cleaner or not but ill decided that tomorrow.

thanks again

This is what I plan on using for my build:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9302t89

Its trade size is 3/4"-9. It's .120" thick and the mesh "strands" are .164" wide. The diamond-shaped openings are .563" x 1.688". This seemed like a nice, beefy mesh that wouldn't burn up too quickly, with openings that aren't so large that the smaller pieces of lump charcoal filter through to the ash pan.

Not having built my UDS yet, I leave it to those with REAL experience to tell me if I'm wrong. ;-)

EDIT: Looks like I was a little slow with my reply, but at least I was on the right track!

The sun came out and I took advantage of it. Completely finished now. Man I had not welded since high school. My welding was borderline barbaric.

DSC00001-1.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

Now I will Do a season Burn on my next day Off. :biggrin:

Pricing and shipping

Rodney,

It looks like the same product at Metal Supermarket might be about five dollars cheaper for the same 24"x24" size, you'd have to look at shipping rates also. Sometimes the shipping charges can get out of hand and can make a big difference too.

Not arguing, just saying,

brotherbd

This is what I plan on using for my build:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9302t89

Its trade size is 3/4"-9. It's .120" thick and the mesh "strands" are .164" wide. The diamond-shaped openings are .563" x 1.688". This seemed like a nice, beefy mesh that wouldn't burn up too quickly, with openings that aren't so large that the smaller pieces of lump charcoal filter through to the ash pan.

Not having built my UDS yet, I leave it to those with REAL experience to tell me if I'm wrong. ;-)

EDIT: Looks like I was a little slow with my reply, but at least I was on the right track!

nice

Thanks NASCARican. Just my attempt at not having to kick or open the UDS to dislodge some of the ash.

if its not to much trouble, can you take a picture up close of the shaker stick from the outside of the barrel AND one closer showing attached to the basket, you have a great idea it looks like

Brotherbd: Yeah, it's cheaper at the other place, and I considered going that route, but I get next day ground shipping for cheap from McMaster and I'll be buying some other hardware from there anyway. I'm sure that for many other people the place you shared with us would be the better choice. Thanks for that link, by the way... I'll probably use them at some point for one of my clients. It's nice to see that you can buy specially cut pieces of stock material online!

-r

Are there issues with 1/2" expande metal..?!? Haven't built my basket yet, but that's all I could find. Thanks again...

Jester

UVaJester, I used smaller and thinner stuff on my first build and it did ok, only reasoning I can see is helping prevent ash buildup. Try what you got, might have to give it a shake half way through the smoke.:biggrin: Just take the food out first!:icon_smil

UV you don't have to close everything up just close the intake and exhaust so there's no draft to carry the ash.

Here are the picture you requested NoviceBBQmovinUp.

Shaker Rod
DSC000012.jpg

Basket eyelet
DSC000011.jpg

Connected in Drum
DSC0000112.jpg

Close up outside shot of handle . BBQ Guru WSM eyelet Assembly used for bushing
DSC0000113.jpg

Back