Tapcons for EZ-UP?

Stoke&Smoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I know I've seen this mentioned previously here, but can't find it. Does anyone have a recommendation for what size Tapcon to use to keep your EZ-Up from rocketing into your neighbors space on a windy day if you're set up on asphalt?

Thanks, I'll hang up and wait for my answer:redface:

Jim, you use a cordless drill for that? Not sure mine would have the arse to get them into asphalt.

i use tapcons all the time for concrete form work. usually i'm going thru an 1 1/2" "2x4" so i use 2 1/4" TAPCONS which allows for 3/4 inch into the concrete. asphalt won't hold as well as concrete. not sure what thickness of leg your working with but i'd figure at least and inch or more into the asphalt. i like the hex head ones. I use a hammer drill to drill the initial hole then cordless drill to drive 'em in.

Just like Jim, I use a 18v Dewalt cordless drill and deck screws with washers. Works great!!

I'll bet the folks running the contest and those that own the ashphalt don't appreciate all those holes. How about 5 gallon buckets of water or concrete. I just love to see those pails of concrete going airborne.

I'll bet the folks running the contest and those that own the ashphalt don't appreciate all those holes. How about 5 gallon buckets of water or concrete. I just love to see those pails of concrete going airborne.

That's the nice thing with deck screws, after a few hot days, you couldn't find the holes if you tried. They are gone. They aren't even the width of a pencil (or brisket slice) to begin with.

I think I'll have to try deck screws. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than TapCons anyway. BTW - an 18v Ryobi will also put the tapcons in asphalt with no problems.

I think I'll have to try deck screws. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than TapCons anyway. BTW - an 18v Ryobi will also put the tapcons in asphalt with no problems.

Hey Andy, will you have an 18v drill this weekend? Might try it myself.

In the past I have bungeed the tent to my meat and beer cooler, one on each side. Works very well.

That's the nice thing with deck screws, after a few hot days, you couldn't find the holes if you tried. They are gone. They aren't even the width of a pencil (or brisket slice) to begin with.

Maybe in MO in the summer, I wouldn't try that in the NE in October.

In the past I have bungeed the tent to my meat and beer cooler, one on each side. Works very well.

The Dennis and Shane from the Space Coast Pit Crew have two 128 quart (I think) coolers that are part of their regular setup. They just strap the tent to them and it is super solid.

I know I've seen this mentioned previously here, but can't find it. Does anyone have a recommendation for what size Tapcon to use to keep your EZ-Up from rocketing into your neighbors space on a windy day if you're set up on asphalt?

Thanks, I'll hang up and wait for my answer:redface:

I looking up Tapcon in Merriam-Webster dictionary online
can't find it.. Dare I ask what the hell is a Tapcon:?::?::?:

Or some caulk and a can of black spraypaint :twisted:

I looking up Tapcon in Merriam-Webster dictionary online
can't find it.. Dare I ask what the hell is a Tapcon:?::?::?:
Concrete screw sold at all home improvement/hardware store. Tapcon is just a brand name, they are blue , using the blue thermapen anology they are the best:biggrin:

Last edited:
Concrete screw sold at all home improvement/hardware store. Tapcon is just a brand name, they are blue , using the blue thermapen anology they are the best:biggrin:

Thank you Thank you...
I really hate to tell you the Black Thermapen's are the most best
Thermapen's ever made :wink: :wink:

Thank you Thank you...
I really hate to tell you the Black Thermapen's are the most best
Thermapen's ever made :wink: :wink:
If black thermapens were so good then they would make black tapcons but they don't. So there ya go , blue thermpens with blue tapcons a winning combination!

Back