1st Competition this past weekend (pics)

J

joeysmac

Hey everyone. Its been a while since I've been on. I got a new job and they have forums blocked :)crazy:), but I'm pretty sure I can get this one unblocked since our company now has a competition BBQ team :clap2:!

Anyways, we work at an IT company in Stockbridge and we all love to BBQ and smoke, so we decided to enter the Butts Co. Smokin' Pork n Butts competition this past weekend. It was an awesome time (even though the weather was terrible). We ended up with 4th place in backyard pulled pork and 5th place in ribs!!! Who would have thought. I have to thank a lot of you who have provided endless amounts of knowledge, tips and tricks. Here are some pics...feedback is welcomed.

So our company is called OnsiteRIS (the RIS stands for Retail Information Systems) so our BBQ team is OnsiteRIBS. I googled "cartoon pig" and used the 2nd one that came up...and then realized at the comp that it's the same pig on Wizzy's rub :doh: (sorry Mr. Wizzy...let me know if you are :mad2:).

banner.jpg

ABTs for appetizers...big hit with the neighbors. I think this could have taken the "anything but" contest. I started using the Sante Fe blend cream cheese, which really takes it up a notch.
abts.jpg

Here are the smokers. Butts were done on the UDSs. They held their temp like it was their job...well I guess it is their job.
smokers2.jpg

Here is the 4th-place pulled pork
pork.jpg

And the 5th-place ribs...
ribs.jpg

They started calling teams at 10th place and we thought "well, at least we are not last". When they got to 5th or 6th place, we remembered that there were more than 10 teams (18 backyard teams I think), so we figured that we must have done worse than 10th...and then...4th place baby!!!
4thplace.jpg

Trophies hanging next to the IT certification plaques. We strive to be a well-rounded company...

office.jpg

Those are good looking trophies! Congratulations. Now the hook is set. You'll never be normal again!! Glad you had a good time, just save your nickels because this gets expensive quick.

Well done! I'm hoping to see you guys next year. We had to cut our comp schedule down to just 1 competing and 5 judging. When we get back to more competing (hopefully 2012) Jackson will be the first added.

IF you want to try the MBN pro division, check out Deep Roots Festival in Milledgeville at the end of October. It's only about 30 miles or so out of Jackson. The festival usually has about 30 pro teams and 7,000+- festival attendees. It's a lot of fun. We'll be there.

Congrats dude that's awesome! Who says IT guys are nerds nowadays?

You gotta get a Stoker or BBQ Guru and represent IT. :laugh:

Those ABT's were not good at all :). We're already planning to cook more snacks at Brenau. Other than the weather Pork n Butts was crazy fun. Good luck to you guys in the future.....as long as it is just behind us in the rankings.

Back