FARK IT! Im doing it!

cold_smoked_canadian

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Sitting here late into the evenings reading and dreaming I came to the conclusion that being 32 Im relatively young, cooked in a restaurant the first 5 years of my adult life, loved it and the people. So Im gonna give this roadside concession a shot.

Trump said
Everyday, you'll have opportunities to take chances and to work outside your safety net. Sure, it's a lot easier to stay in your comfort zone.. in my case, business suits and real estate.. but sometimes you have to take risks. When the risks pay off, that's when you reap the biggest rewards.
this struck a serious chord and while I make a very comfortable living at sheet metal, it's not my passion. My motivation for getting up in the am is food. Im spending pretty much everything I have financially and emotionally, If this doesn’t work I have a skilled trade to fall back on (and a sweet trailer for my own personal use!) but little else, I don’t have a safety net by any means. Im leaving some personal info out, but there’s a heafty price Im paying. Im def. not doing this to get rich financially.

anyways, enough babble...

Meeting with the our equivalent of the health dept. they have no record of a mobile smoked meat stand so off teh bat I have some minor issues...First being I will have to supply some product to a laboratory and have the bacteria/pathogens counted on my final product.

Wait, Im getting ahead of myslef...I'm all over the place....so bare with...

Im planning on a mr.tube steak inspired trailer albeit a farking bigger one...and the second major issue is I'm only allowed one product, which will be pulled pork...no chicken, beef, even cooked farkin onions...One cooked product. Pork.

My UDS was nixed as being unhygienic or sanitary (!) so I am in the process of a building a stainless UDS-inspired front loading vertical smoker. After the inspector OK’s the smoker I will start on the trailer. The axle will prolly be from a late model VW jetta. (Ive built dirtbike trailers from these axles and they are farking awesome) Open sides with a big arsed canopy than opens from the middle.

Three sinks, a bain marie, (tempered glass canopy so customers can see the product and not sneeze on it.) running the middle with the smoker close to the hitch.

Anyways, this is just a plea for help I dunno what the fark Im doing but Im doing it…I’ll take any advice, any tips, anything. I will be posting relevant info as it transpires but right now Im concentrating on keeping mr. health inspector happy, creating a relationship with him and getting my trailer built to his satisfaction.

Much obliged,
Dave

Good luck. Getting to live your dream is a great thing.

In '94 we sold everything and took off for the Caribbean on a sailboat. Everyone thought we were nutz, but it was the best time of our lives.

Chuck

What's the reason for only allowing one product? Possibility of cross contamination? Just curious. Good luck bro! I'm just a back yard chef for now, but one of these days... I'd like to do exactly what you're doing!

Wow, that is some seriously farked up rules your dealing with up there!

I did the same thing....went for it, and am now doing it and i love every day of it!

You have some MAJOR hurdles to overcome but if its what you want, do it!

Search for the roadside vending thread. LOTS of info there. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49502

Good luck and if you have questions, ask away! :biggrin:

dave...when I was living in Temple, Georgia a fellow did the same thing...He only cooked Pork,,,Ribs, butts, and had a fantastic sauce. The location was great ( Gas station Parking lot)...The guy was swamped with customers every day!! I say Go for it! and make it the best cook ya can!!

Go for it! I still have my daily grind of a job, but I am getting closer to making more money with the Q! I love doing it, it's actually a stress reliever for me. Also the wife doesn't care how much I cook or how many different toys I buy, as long as the books are in the back! (And she gets her cut, of course.)

Dave, good luck man, there is never an easy time to start a business, get in there and start swinging. Running your own business is great, not easy, but very rewarding. I think you chose a good product in selling pulled pork, hope you have a sauce that is killer as well.

As for dealing with government agencies, communicate, communicate, communicate. The more you let them know you are listening, the more you understand the rules and the more you make their job easier, the faster it will go got you. A lot of my projects have kitchens or snack bars in them, and it kills me when my consultants don't ask for the standards and I get hit by requirements after contract that could have been taken care of with an email for free.

Meeting with the our equivalent of the health dept. they have no record of a mobile smoked meat stand so off teh bat I have some minor issues...First being I will have to supply some product to a laboratory and have the bacteria/pathogens counted on my final product.

My UDS was nixed as being unhygienic or sanitary (!) so I am in the process of a building a stainless UDS-inspired front loading vertical smoker. After the inspector OK’s the smoker I will start on the trailer. The axle will prolly be from a late model VW jetta. (Ive built dirtbike trailers from these axles and they are farking awesome) Open sides with a big arsed canopy than opens from the middle.

Dave

Congrats Dave on making the leap.

I also faced a health department that had never dealt with what we are doing. If I can give you any advice it would be ..

-Go to open air markets, swap meets, trade shows, farmers markets and look at what they are doing. Take pictures and ask questions.

-Build a self contained cooker that will allow you to do what you NEED curbside rather than what would be cool to have. Cool comes later when you fill the requirements of the health department.

-Build in a warning chamber as part of your unit if at all possible. My cooker is a simple tank divided at 1/3. Cooking happens on the right and hot holding on the left. Place temp gages at both ends.

- Take the required food safety classes and while you are there bring up what you are doing and how. At break time show the instructor you are interested in having he/she come out and 'give advice'. This gives them the feeling that you want to get it right and have nothing to hide. They will be more then happy to come see you and your unusual cooker.

- Test your rig then take the show to the health department. TELL them what your unit is doing and why. This is the important part. Remember you are setting a president so all future applicants of the sort will have to fallow your lead. As long as you have the cleaning, cold storage, hot holding, cooking temps etc within the safe zones you will be fine.

Remember make these people your partner and your life will be much easier.

Thanks chuck! I just read slocums' book about sailing round the world solo...was a good read...made me look on craigslist for boats. :-D

What's the reason for only allowing one product?
Good question 4TheLoveofBrisket, from as far as I can tell I'll need a sink for each product...right now the health inpsector is kinda being anal and going by the book, Im sure as I show him what Im doing that wont be an issue as the build nears completion. The hot dog vendors sell cooked onions...So as it stands Im just concentrating on pullies.

thanks Bbq Bubba! Ive read that thread literally dozens of times over the past several weeks. lol I have oodles of questions...I dont know where to start.

Thanks for that roygilbert and txschutte, I love hearing and reading that!! Makes me secure in thinking Im doing the "right" thing.

landarc; that is awesome advice! From the little Ive gleaned from this site, getting the HD on your side seems to be rule number 1. WHich is why Im in weekly contact with him, tell him EVERYTHING and send him drawings every week. Email...thats what I neglected!! I dont have his email addy!! :icon_smil

big brother smoke; thanks dude, I touched on that thread last week and will def. be reading tonight.

Dr_KY; ty ty ty! I have headed your advice and will be trolling several open aired markets this weekend. several farmers markets and even a night time asian market. I'm taking the canadian standard food course in a cuppa weeks (called food safe) even though I took it as a kid, a decade and a half ago...No harm in refreshing as I dont remember ANYTHING. lol

The door will be hung on the smoker this weekend hopefully, just have to finish the latch and will be heat to meat hopefully mid-week. SUbmit several pics in detail he requested and Im hoping for approval to begin trailer construction around the same time.

Good luck, Bro!
I am hoping to do the same at some point in the future.
In the meantime, I live vicariously through you guys who are living it and reporting on it to the brethren.
Make sure you post often on this thread to keep us up to date...:grin:

Back