BBQ Brethren "Lamb" Throwdown

BigButz wears a lamb smuggler? I bet that is warm and fuzzy. :becky:

i got hooked the first time I tried a rack from Costco. The lambsicles are the bomb. I like the smaller packages like 1-2 lbs. I got a 5lb at Christmas but didn't get the rareness I liked on the smaller rack.

One thing I liked was a quick sear then the cook.

For your safety, remember that lamb skins are semi permeable.

Time Out

As most of you know, as Self Appointed Aussie Lamb Farker of the BBQ Brethren Universe... I give out the ALF Awards, and to this point in time, I feel the idea has been well recieved and indeed lots of fun as well. People have cooked lamb who otherwise might never have done so....

But this is a Throwdown, and as a Throwdown, it has it's own award / reward. I don't wanna complicate the issue between TD's and ALFS... so I'm thinking I'll suspend ALF's for Lamb dishes entered in this TD... If you don't agree, let me know!

OR Maybe the winner, as voted by the BBQ Brethren voters gets an ALF Award as well...????

Cheers!

Bill

Time in Farkers!

Missed out on getting my ALF certificate when Bill was on vacation. :tsk:

Now I have to find another lamb...
Then I have to smuggle it into the house...

So not only is it going to be difficult to get in to this throwdown but, now another ALF certification is to elude me? :tsk:

I'm good with whatever Bill thinks is right. After all, he's the designated Aussie Expert Lamb Farker. I love the ALF certs, I certainly would enjoy seeing them handed out to folks who prepare lamb, even for the Throwdown. But, at the same time, maybe it's not as "daring" to make lamb for a Throwdown as it is any other regular time, so perhaps lamb prepared for a Throwdown is not as worthy of an ALF? Really, whatever is best for ALF is what ALF should do.

I'm off to go be non-specific and indecisive now. This thread has worn me out with all the decisions and stuff.

Time Out

As most of you know, as Self Appointed Aussie Lamb Farker of the BBQ Brethren Universe... I give out the ALF Awards, and to this point in time, I feel the idea has been well recieved and indeed lots of fun as well. People have cooked lamb who otherwise might never have done so....

But this is a Throwdown, and as a Throwdown, it has it's own award / reward. I don't wanna complicate the issue between TD's and ALFS... so I'm thinking I'll suspend ALF's for Lamb dishes entered in this TD... If you don't agree, let me know!

OR Maybe the winner, as voted by the BBQ Brethren voters gets an ALF Award as well...????

Cheers!

Bill

Time in Farkers!

Bill, I agree with your thoughts about suspending the ALF for throwdowns.

I have seen the voters here pick some very weird winners in the past, so giving the winning entry one might not be the best thing to do.

Just saying, it's your call.

Thx for comments... still not sure... But no more talk on that... let get this back to a TD thingy.. Cheers!

B

I submit for your approval, my Smoked Lamb Shanks with Rosemary Red Potatoes and grilled Asparagus.

The shank is probably my favorite cut of lamb. It is peasant food. It is a lot like brisket, because you have to cook it low and slow to make it edible. There is a lot of connective tissue to break down.

I started yesterday by finely chopping some rosemary from my garden, and making a rosemary olive oil, that sat overnight to meld together.

I coated two shanks with this rosemary oil, and let them sit for 2 hours wrapped in foil. Just before they went on the Weber, I sprinkled them with fine sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

I used the leftover rosemary oil to lube up some red potatoes, that got baked at 350 in the oven.

Once I got the Weber up to 250, with Kingsford Blue Bag and some Pecan chunks, I put the shanks on to smoke, along with some MOINKS, just to fill up the empty space -- don't want to waste that smoke.

When the meat and potatoes were nearly done, I fired up the Smokey Joe, and coated some fresh asparagus with olive oil, and sprinkled some jew-salt and fresh ground pepper on them. I then grilled the asparagus over medium heat to get them cooked, but still a bit crunchy. Just the way I like them.

It turned out great. And, the potatoes were quite possibly better than the meat. The rosemary oil worked great on them, as well as on the meat. It goes without saying that the grill asparagus was good, too.

More pr0n can be found here...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100685

Attachments

• LambPr0nEntry.jpg
    LambPr0nEntry.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 172
Do I get any extra points for using two Webers?

CD

OH YEAH, now we're talking! I love lamb!!! Coincidentally I did some double cut chops Saturday! Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100718

Since in my house when you have lamb, sides are... lets say "secondary"... I chose an all lamb shot. Here's my entry shot:

b90f9a2f.jpg

Cant wait to see what Bill comes up with here! Can we enter more than once btw?? ...just askin :icon_blush: :heh:

Cheers

Back