View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #72
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
WOW almost sounds like being a judge is a bad, evil thing. Nope, not at all! I don't think that anyone has said that (yet, anyway ).

Do I think ALL judges need a refresher course? and do would I like more info whether email or whatever on rule changes or clarifications? A big YES to both. Yes, yes, yes - continuing education will help us all!

But to say a person has to cook with a team just to become a judge I disagree with. I agree that no one should be forced to do that although anyone who WANTS to should be able to and be recognized for it.

I could be wrong but I would think that teams would hold back when a "stranger" is in their cooking area and that would put those teams at a disadvantage. I'm not real sure about that because most of the "secrets" are in the rubs, injections and sauces not in the process itself. But if part of the process is part of the "secret" then they either shouldn't have the judge there or just not let him/her see the "voo-doo". Also, the primary "secret" is consistency - and you only get that with practice, practice, practice.

I wonder how a KCBS contest would go without any judges and just cooks? Then they'd just call it an IBCA contest .
Notice that I'm stressing that cooking with a team in voluntary on both the judges' and the cooks' part. But I think that it's a good thing to do.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->