Smoked Turkey

A

AlbuQue

I'm going to brine a whole turkey tomorrow and smoke it on sunday. I'm curious. I know I want the breast to be about 160 and the thigh to be about 180. Does this usually happen naturally. Or does the breast sometimes get to temp before the thigh? And how do you handle it?

I like to cook birds to 165 in the thigh and yes, the breast will come to temp before the thigh. I foil the the breast to hold in moisture so it doesn't dry out. Works for me every time.

i found that the thigh cooks better if i don't truss the legs. to me 180 on the thigh is to much. i cook my breasts til 165 and most times thats it. if you got to much salt in yer brine the turkey will taste like ham. for me thats not what i want so watch the salt.

Fill a ziploc bag full of ice. Put it on the breast for an hour or so in the fridge. It'll help slow the cooking while the thighs catch up.

Fill a ziploc bag full of ice. Put it on the breast for an hour or so in the fridge. It'll help slow the cooking while the thighs catch up.

What he said. Breasts will pretty much always be done before thighs. That's the beauty of brining though, even without icing the breasts (which is still a good idea), it will keep the breasts from drying out even when you have to push the temps high while waiting for the thighs to catch up.

y'know - except for the presentation purpose of a beautiful big ol'bird - I don't see the purpose of smoking poultry whole. I have found by cutting the birds in half (see photo) so the dark meat is in one section and the white meat in another, I get a better product result. But that's just me. Don't have a pix of a turkey, but here's one of a chicken I did this to.

ChiknHalves4WEB.JPG

I soak some cheesecloth soaked in olive oil / butter and put over the breast toward the end of the cook - works perfect.

Back