Chicken Thread! Perfecting Backyard Chicken!

silverfinger

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
We all love chicken so I thought it would be fun to post your chicken cooks and let everyone know what you'r doing to make great chicken.

Now, Im not trying to get the competition guys to give out their secrets, just trying to perfect the everyday backyard cook for that weeknight BBQ Guy that loves to cook chicken for His Family or football party, etc.

Now, I have been cooking my chicken reverse sear on the weber kettle and it comes out good, BUT, my wife keeps complaining about the rubbery skin.:mmph:

So, It has been my quest since I went to the BBQ Brethren Bash in So Cal and saw what Moose was doing to His chicken. "Open Pit Santa Maria Style Chicken". Now, I have cooked this way before but have never got the distance from the chicken and the fire before the last couple of weeks.

Heres the cook I did last night.

I went back to my fire pit. This is what I used when I first started using charcoal but I would put a weber grill in it and a weber lid on top giving me the same result in chicken, "rubbery skin". As you can see I have a grate on top now to give myself more distance between the fire and the chicken and I have dumped the lid to give it that open pit style cook.

I used one chimney of KB Blue and a couple fist sized chunks of oak.
I rubbed the chicken down with Big Mista's Chicken Scratch and put it over the fire, cooking it to 165 temp, (checking with my thermapen). So far this has worked out well. Im getting much better results in the flavor of the chicken and crispier skin. I think I will add just a bit more fuel to the fire next time.

IMG_8303_zpsa838305f.jpg

IMG_8320_zpsd0d1e1a6.jpg

IMG_8308_zpsf221d147.jpg

Please show off your chicken ideas here!

Thanks!

Well you got the right idea..right over some live hot coals! I do about a bird a week but it usually involves spatchcock @ 350 or pieces i do some indirect high heat and finish with a sear over the coals. No matter what the juices are dripping in the coals at some point if not through the whole cook. Today is some boneless thighs teriyaki style. I'll post those pics after the cook.

Ray, chicken looks great! When can we come over? :-D

I think the key to crispy chicken skin is cooking on an open pit, and also using a Roadside mop sauce. The oil in the mop sauce really helps render the chicken fat as it pulls more heat towards the meat. I posted a tutorial and recipe for the mop sauce HERE, the same stuff I used at the bash, BTW.

Another thing that helps with crispy chicken in addition to an open pit, is a good distance from the grate to the coals. Santa Maria pits are ideal, although I get equally good results with my UDS with the firebasket elevated, although if you do this, you do have to put the lid back on after you mop every few mins or you'll have Hindenberg Chicken in no time!

I use my Stumps baby for drumettes all the time and hit them at 325 for about an hour. Crispy skin and delicious.

I did these a couple days ago.

DSC_7749-PP.JPG

Typical roadside chicken prep. I did substitute the juice from a couple limes for some vinegar and added some powdered ancho and cayenne. Cooked about 325°F for 2:25. They were 7 lb birds. The skin was not crispy but was very tasty. I suppose I would need to increase the heat near the end to get crispy. I like the way the rotisserie does them all the way around. I added some mesquite to the fire when I put them on as well. These only marinated for two hours and longer would probably be better.

My chicken (and Turkey) changed forever when I went to a brine and higher heat (Mid to Upper 300s).
No pics, but I have never looked back! 8)

TIM

I like to dry brine chicken. Kosher salt between the skin and meat. Use a spoon to loosen it up and spread inside. Then dry the skin with paper towels and let it sit in the fridge uncovered for 4-6 hours or so.
Very tasty chicken - nice crispy skin.
I used to do the water brine and you can't get away from the rubbery skin..

It's in another thread but here's my chicken today. More of an open pit style but was cooked indirect with the lid closed. Teriyaki so i went low on the charcoal basket and used the BP smoker as a grill.

I see allot of you brine your chicken. Ive never done that before. Looks like something I will need to try!

I cook chicken in a few different ways, but most often I go either indirect the whole time on the kettle or direct to sear and then indirect to finish, also on the kettle. No rub when I cook chicken BTW.
The first 2 pics are skin on breasts done indirect the whole time, using maple for smoke, the maple gives them the golden brown color-

chick4204_zpsae475920.jpg

chick4203_zps7539ead1.jpg

These are boneless, skinless breasts. I sear one side, turn and sear the other and apply a squirt of sauce to the first side(about a TBS). After searing side 2 I move them away from the coals, turn them over, sauce side 2 and cook indirect until done, saucing and turning once or twice more.

DSC01313.jpg

With both of these methods I pay close attention to IT because it is very easy to overcook and get dried chicken jerky.

Ray, chicken looks great! When can we come over? :-D

I hope we can get together soon! It's going to be awhile for my home. My backyard is so tore up I'm running around with my cookers looking for a safe place to cook. I hope to have everything back in place by next spring.

I've been hooked on roadside chicken for a few months. If anyone hasen't tried it I,d suggest you do. Great flavor! Before that I was a beer can chicken guy every thursday for years. Just dust with Tony Catchery's and let it roll till 160. This is still my favorite for crunchy skin.

I'll play. :mrgreen:

My absolute favorite way to make chicken is on the PBC. I've tried it every other way/grill but the most succulent and moist birds come off of the PBC. I just put on whatever rub or marinade right before the cook and hang them. Jamaican Jerk seasoning or marinade is my favorite so that's the only time I'll let marinate at least 12 hrs prior to cooking.

Here are a few different cook pics:

20130828_204814.jpg

20130828_204823.jpg

20130828_204806.jpg

20130828_215355.jpg

20130828_215428.jpg

20130828_215510.jpg

20130828_215519.jpg

I see allot of you brine your chicken. Ive never done that before. Looks like something I will need to try!

Brining works awesome on chicken. I don't make chicken without brining first any more. Others seem to agree... we've sold over two tons (literally) of our Game Changer brine since it was introduced last year... :becky: :thumb:

Did these awhile back over oak wood. Over wood is definitely one of my favorite ways to cook chicken.

Attachments

• 1371423789402.jpg
    1371423789402.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20130616_171232.jpg
    20130616_171232.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 44
Back