First unattended cook

I agree with your decision to cook the day before. Not because of leaving an unattended cooker bothers me (as long as it is done safe), but because you are not sure how long a turkey will take.

I do all day or night unattended cooks all the time without any worries. But that is with meats I generally know what to expect.

Now a turkey on the other hand. I have only done one, last Thanksgiving, and I still don't know why I haven't done another yet...amazing I'm telling you. It cooked faster than I expected, much faster. If I remember right it was a 14/15 pounder that I brined the day before, not sure but I think the brining sped up the cook too, I anticipated about 5-6 hours and it was done in about 3 1/2 -4 hours and that was at 265*.

Spatchcock and cook at 325-350. It'll be done in 3 hours max. You are off part day friday right? In the time it would take to heat up the pre cooked bird, you could cook it and serve it.

A 16 lb turkey won't take as long as you plan. Have a back up plan for meat in place even if you do it.

Well I cooked it last night, went extremely well, under 2 hours, I Spatchcocked it (first time I have ever done that) That is the way to go. here is some PrOn that I said I would give you after it was done.

Hopefully the reheating will go ok tonight, had I known it would only take 2 hours I would have just cooked it tonight and served it fresh but the unknown on cook time had me worried.

Well I cooked it last night, went extremely well, under 2 hours, I Spatchcocked it (first time I have ever done that) That is the way to go. here is some PrOn that I said I would give you after it was done.

Hopefully the reheating will go ok tonight, had I known it would only take 2 hours I would have just cooked it tonight and served it fresh but the unknown on cook time had me worried.

Looks great!

Ain't that "purdee"...Beautiful bird!!

Back