• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My Soon to Be BBQ Room--WWYD?

Outnumbered

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
My wife has given me full approval to proceed with a BBQ room. She's tired of me trimming in the kitchen, applying rubs and then touching cabinets and refrigerator doors, etc. So I am going to move my office into a new room I will build and have my BBQ room just inside the back door of my basement.

I anticipate it end up about 10x10 or slightly larger. I will need to keep my freezer and spare fridge in there. Anybody have suggestions on what you would do for this room if offered such an awesome opportunity?

It's a blank slate.

Make it so you can clean it with a farking garden hose. Cleaning up after a cook sucks.

Better yet, install a pressure washer with hot water. Big drain in the floor.

That's my dream kitchen. Also my dream bathroom. :becky:

CD

:mrgreen: ..... Gotta be lots of SS work areas, BIG open cleaning area (SINK/TABLES) with hot water, flat screen, music & some heat if you need it & a drain... Covered

all points above very good, as I got kicked out also..no sense of humor to the bag of sugar breaking accross the floor..with that being said, keep it cleanable..walls..floors..deep wash basin...fridge to age your meats and beer..
but a seperate area is nice..lots of shleves use the wire ones from home depot or lowes..

I'm in total agreement with CD on this one. If it's possible, put a drain in that sucker. Hosing it down, steam cleaning it, or pressure washing, whatever route you wanna go with it that's the dream for me.
I'd also want my sharpening station down in that area as well if given such an opportunity. I'd also set up an island in the middle, depending on the room structure, so from any given angle I can choose to work on said island, and have whatever rubs I'd need behind me. I'd make the island be the main storage area for any pans I'd keep on hand, including disposables, so all I have to do is pull them out from underneath. I'd avoid cabinets on the island as well, and just put shelving.

I'm sure the more I fantasize about this the more I'd come up with, but that's what I've had in my head for awhile now just for a kitchen in general. Hope it helps!

I'm with CD and JB: put a drain in the floor. Hell, install a 5 HP garbage disposal in the sucker! Maybe install an emergency bleaching system in case of deadly bacteria attack. ;)

JEALOUS MOD!

Realistically, I say:
* Install as much tile on the wall/floor as possible for easy cleanup.
* Outlets everywhere.
* Dry/Cool storage for spices.
* Good lighting.
* Indoor electric smoker with exhaulst vent?
* Auto Slide Door ([ame]http://youtu.be/D6OBSQ6nTLM[/ame])
* large, deep sink
* any size TV

Its awesome that your wife is letting you do this. My wife is pretty awesome but I dont see this in my future.

Make it so you can clean it with a farking garden hose. Cleaning up after a cook sucks.

Better yet, install a pressure washer with hot water. Big drain in the floor.

That's my dream kitchen. Also my dream bathroom. :becky:

CD

Yep. I am always so jealous when I am at Sam's and they are hosing down their butcher room. Dudes just grab a fire hose and go to town. That is how it should be done.

Add my vote for the auto opening door - or at least something you can open with a switch you can kick. I hate juggling a big tray of meat in one hand while trying to open a door with another.

Likewise, a foot operated sink would be a real plus, along with soap and paper towel dispensers with proximity sensors.

A goose neck sprayer on the sink would be cool as well. In fact, I think a large sink with attached counter with gutter would do it for me. I think I could confine my mess to that and would not need to hose down the entire room. It's not an abattoir!

Something to ponder - depending on the frequency of use and the amount of guk-y pans that are being washed you may want to spring for a commercial grease trap. That roto-rooter from your clean out to the city / county connection isn't cheap when your main gets grease clogged.

Don't ask how I know.

Back