Smoker sizes

Muscrat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have traded for a 20" dia pipe. It a little over 5 1/2' long.

The question is does anyone have such a pit that diameter that works really well? I don't really have place to build it but I wanna throw something together to cook on. I have enough scrap metal laying around to put it together. I have a uds but it isn't big enough.

Thanks in advance.

And make it so I'll wanna buy it once you have a shop and build ShaNayNay II. :wink:

You know - pull out racks (atleast 3 but better with 4/5), Hook Holds in top for hanging meat, able to use both charcoal basket or wood splits ( so a basket on slides and a fire grate on slide that are interchangeable), nice difusser plate, 3 angled out legs with casters. Slightly domed or high centered top so water won't pool. Center exhaust with rain cap and a CAMO paint job. :heh:

IMHO, a 20" diameter pipe will make a decent backyard smoker. I wouldn't make a trailer with anything less than a 24" pipe, preferably a 30" pipe.

Does the 20" pipe need to accommodate the smoke and fire chambers? Do a 20" long firebox and a 46" long cook chamber and it would make a helluva cooker, IMO.

I have a Klose 20x48 with a 20" square firebox. I holds 9 butts no problem.

I really like this one that I had built. It is 20 x 52. The firebox door needs to be bigger, the exhaust should be in the middle, the intake could be a lot simpler but it still works great. I had them put a rack right over the fire for grilling. It also has a place to hang stuff at the very top. I had it built without asking the Brethren for advice and that was a big mistake. I am lucky it turned out so well. I can get about 45-60 minutes per pound of charcoal depending on temp. It can hold 3 baby backs or 2 briskets per rack. The racks are 12" apart so there is plenty of room for more racks.

Last edited:
And make it so I'll wanna buy it once you have a shop and build ShaNayNay II. :wink:

You know - pull out racks (atleast 3 but better with 4/5), Hook Holds in top for hanging meat, able to use both charcoal basket or wood splits ( so a basket on slides and a fire grate on slide that are interchangeable), nice difusser plate, 3 angled out legs with casters. Slightly domed or high centered top so water won't pool. Center exhaust with rain cap and a CAMO paint job. :heh:

I guess I should have ready Smitty's post before I posted.:doh: The bigger firebox door would allow for a larger basket for splits. I don't care for the diffuser plate anymore but I did use a pizza stone for the first few cooks on the bottom rack. Casters would be great because this thing is heavy. The guy that built mine sells 2-3 of these per month. I don't know if that is a lot but he gets $760 for them.

I'm thinking this upright thing might be doable. The wheels are turning!!

He should come but he will probally have it built way before the Bash. He could bring it and show it off :thumb:

It sounds like fun. Perhaps I could deliver it to smittyjons at the bash!!! But I might be working during that time. It all depends on Mother Nature. I have a plan in mind so I might start on it next couple days.

Man I got highjacked by spring break. I've been entertaining the kids. Mondays is a whole new deal!!!

Back