Broth Vs. Stock question

Pooky

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey -

I see a lot of recipes (From American books, on here etc.) that call for broth of some sort: Chicken broth for cooking chicken thighs, beef broth for injecting brisket, as examples.

My question to the accumulated genius of The Brethren is - Is there any difference between what you guys call broth and what we call stock?

When I make a chicken stock, for example, I boil the chicken carcass with onion, carrots, celery, herbs and a bit of seasoning, then drain.

Over here, I guess a broth is more of a thin soup (with a stock base).

Are the two interchangeable as products and as words or is there a definitive difference, as far as y'all know?

I thought stock was just from cartilage/tendon/bones.
Broth had meat simmered in it as well.

Stock is generally(mostly) made from a combination of mostly bones (roasted or otherwise) and veggies. Broth can be the same but most times (depending) it`s made from flesh.Bones have gelatin in a consecration greater than flesh or skin depending on the protein.Broth is an excuse and stock is the real deal.Stocks come in many forms...Brown beef stock, brown veal stock, brown or clear poultry stock and different other animal stock.When it comes to fish(lobster, shrimp or anything from the ocean)more care is taken to produce this and their beginnings differ in terms of shell or not.I worked in top rests. when I was younger as a saucier and I made almost all the stocks and base Mother sauces for these restaurants.There is a cook time frame that the French Chef ESCOFFIER used for each of bone based stocks that is still in use today.The one thing That has changed by popular scientists from then to now is at what point in the cook to add the veggies. The Chinese though will bring their poultry stock from a slow simmer(First cook) to a boil and dump the stock and start over for a clear stock.Consume is a different ball of wax.

Back