• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Introducing Virginia Chili Powder

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Chile peppers first came to the North American colonies in Virginia in 1621 when a shipment of potatoes and chile pepper seeds (a variety of cayenne) were received in a shipment of supplies from England. From that time forward, Virginia recipes have included chile peppers in a wide variety of recipes from pepper vinegar to soups, stews, and barbecue.

It is recorded as far back as the mid 1700's that George Washington grew bird peppers (i.e., chile pequin; chiltepin) in his garden. Enslaved people in Virginia used to grow cayenne and fish peppers (African-American heirloom pepper) and use them in their recipes as well.

And, at the end of the 1800's Virginians started using paprika like most of the rest of the country.

With all that in mind I thought that I would try my hand at creating a Virginia Chili powder using only the peppers that have traditionally been used in Virginia cookery and here is the result.

It has a slightly sweet smell, moderate heat, and fresh taste. Some of the peppers in it I grew, dried, and ground myself since I have not found a source for fish or bird pepper powder. It's actually quite tasty. The first recipe I am going to try it in was called by the colonists that observed Virginia Indians making them is an "Indian dainty." Everyone else calls them tamales.

VA-Chili-Powder_zps9d0de2f6.jpg

Cool Deal.....so the Indian Dainty would use the ground corn meal & some type of lard or fat for the masa?

Found some pequins amongst some closeout spices one time & really liked them ground.......held their flavor even being somewhat out-of-date !!!!

Didn't know much history, tho.....THANKS !!!!!

Cool stuff! Just finished making up a batch of Griffin's sauce. Don't think I have time to grow my own fish peppers today, though... :tongue:

Cool Deal.....so the Indian Dainty would use the ground corn meal & some type of lard or fat for the masa?

Yep, they used either deer suet or bear fat. Probably other animal fats too but those two were recorded by English writers.

I used to grow Fish Peppers, what a cool pepper that is, and a great flavor (although not for fish, I find it too spicy).

I made up a batch of the Virginia Indian dainties tonight. I wasn't really expecting much but they turned out to be delicious! In fact, I was only able to save one of them for later as everyone was gobbling them up.

Instead of masa, I used grits and corn meal as Virginia isn't known for its corn masa dishes. :) I added a little of the Virginia chili powder, salt & pepper and red pepper flakes, diced bacon and some barbecued pork loin for the meat. They were a big hit! The flavor was far better than I could have imagined, actually.

I made up a batch of the Virginia Indian dainties tonight. I wasn't really expecting much but they turned out to be delicious! In fact, I was only able to save one of them for later as everyone was gobbling them up.

Instead of masa, I used grits and corn meal as Virginia isn't known for its corn masa dishes. :) I added a little of the Virginia chili powder, salt & pepper and red pepper flakes, diced bacon and some barbecued pork loin for the meat. They were a big hit! The flavor was far better than I could have imagined, actually.

Don't tell me you killed a bear for its fat to make the Indian dainties... :laugh:

Of course I did. Caught him snooping around my flower garden this morning.

Looks good Shiz! I assume the recipe will be in the book? BTW how soon on that fine publication?

Thanks, no date set at this time. But, there are some TV shows in the works and a mural at a local museum about Virginia BBQ that I am helping develop.

Here is a look at this year's crop of Old Virginia Chile Peppers. BTW - they all turn red when ripe -

Cayenne
Cayenne_zps136c146b.jpg

Fish
Fish_zpsd8d4cb36.jpg

Bird
Birds_zps3a40ee04.jpg

Back