Anyone ever use a La Caja China Box?

Don't let the boyz from Tejas know where u live. Butt right on Brother!

I've got a La Caja China.

It's a fine Cuban pig roaster, but a lousy smoker. Frankly, you'll get better results with just about any type of true smoker. The smoke pistol thing is a lame attempt to broaden the market for the product IMO.

I've had food prepared on them before (never used one myself), but it has never impressed me... No better than a "good" oven in my opinion. A pig roaster/smoker is WAY better.

Cheers

To be fair, the point of the box is to ROAST pork, not smoke it. It's a different end product - Cuban roast pork isn't supposed to be smoky.

It's all about that crispy skin, and there is no cooker that does a better job of that than the Chinese Box.

yea, we've got one, and makes great "roast" pork. We've thrown a tray of chunks that were lit in the chimney in, didn't make that much of a difference, but i can tell you that if you need to cook 8 butts in a hurry, it'll do the job.

We've used them to cook chicken a lot of times. Used to be a fad around here. Everybody had one. They called them Cajun kitchens. Everybody had one at their fishing or hunting camps. They would be cooking breakfast on top and using it for the cook fire and using the bottom like an oven to cook biscuits etc.
Most of them were just the box without a bottom. They would line the ground with tin foil and set the meat on racks and use the firebox for the lid. It's been about 5 years since I used one.

This is on my want list. It's more of a smoker/roaster. I don't know any more about it than what is on here. The fire appears to be in the box with the pig instead of outside the box...

http://www.asadorcubano.com/

https://www.lacajachina.com/Articles.asp?ID=156

On top like this. These things use a LOT of charcoal! I've never done that. The ones we had were heavy steal topped and we burned fires on top for the coals. Took forever but worked fine for starting at breakfast and eating in early afternoon.

This is on my want list. It's more of a smoker/roaster. I don't know any more about it than what is on here. The fire appears to be in the box with the pig instead of outside the box...

http://www.asadorcubano.com/

That link is to one of the knock-offs, not a real La Caja China. (Most of the copies actively use the LCC name in their web advertising, so be careful when using Google)

The fire is on top of the box. Yes these are not efficient cookers, but they are fast because the sealed box acts as a (low) pressure cooker. We picked one up because there's no more efficient way to do a whole hog for a catering gig. Yes, you'll go through fifty pounds of charcoal, but you can use cheap briquettes and if you follow the guidelines you really can cook a medium sized whole hog in four hours.

Honestly, if you think about it, they dont use that much charcoal. A 75lb pig can be cooked with 45lbs of charcoal, considering throwing a pig in a meadow creek pr60 or on an offset, that's pretty miserly.

I'm just saying because of the fact that there is no damper just an open burn, you have to feed it continually. That's why we used ours with just wood.

It takes a little while to get it ready to cook under with regular wood.

Back