How important is an appearance point

CajunSmoker

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Or
If you ever wondered how important it is to nail your appearance points it came home to us this weekend in Hammond. One judge gave us an 8 in appearance.

Our 2nd place ribs scored 172.0000
1st place ribs scored 172.0004

It'll make you pull your hair out if you think about it too long:biggrin:

Lowest judge score is thrown out. The 172.0000 would be the adjusted score out of a perfect 180.0000.

That's one hell of a rib score!

We've lost a numerical tie to all four decimal places, and landed out of the money instead of RGC. On the other hand, we've GC'd by as little as half a point.

You can't think about it too much, it's just part of the crazy way the numbers shake out sometimes -- every table is a roll of the dice.

American Royal two years ago.
Grand and RGC decided by .0008
And that is one big check!

Merl

Rodger...all I can say is: it's EPIC....:p:lol::lol::lol:

It was so great to finally meet you. Huge congrats on your 2nd place rib call.....way to go:-D

theresa and walt

Right! Maybe adjusted wasn't the right word. 172 would be the score using the top 5 scores

In Mike Lakes judging class a couple weeks ago he mentioned (while trying to impress on the new judges) how important it is to give full attention to their duty, that he had lost a $5000 payout due to being behind by 1/10,000 of a point.
I wouldn't have wanted to be in the trailer with Theresa after awards........
ModelMaker

Our 2nd place ribs scored 172.0000
1st place ribs scored 172.0004

It'll make you pull your hair out if you think about it too long:biggrin:

Dangggggggggg....that is close. That's ok though.....Lula is right around the corner :wink:. Looking forward to seeing ya'll again!

last year, Madison, IN, GC, RCG, and third, sick how close.....

yes, and i still have nightmares over that one !!:oops: I was .0008 from first and .0006 from second. There's some people on this forum that think appearance isn't that important... for those of you who think that way, please keep doing so.

yeah, that was a very close one....after the elation of rgc, the ugh of wow, that was really close to gc.....
and...
for those of you who think that way, please keep doing so.
I second that motion....:cool:

Dang, Podge, that margin was thinner than the hair on a lot of heads in Madison!!!!! And that's saying a lot!!!:eek:

Look forward to seeing you. Been a long winter. Kathy & I will be making our "Northern trek" before long and hope to see you at some of the stops!

Phillip

Dang, Podge, that margin was thinner than the hair on a lot of heads in Madison!!!!! And that's saying a lot!!!:eek:

Look forward to seeing you. Been a long winter. Kathy & I will be making our "Northern trek" before long and hope to see you at some of the stops!

Phillip

you'll see me in jeffersonville, in. and kettering for sure !

I wound up in a tie and lost the coin toss. That would have been my 1st 1st place in a category. The guy that won the coin toss stated it was the first coin toss he had won. I wont menthion who he is but will probably read this. That sucks but not as bad as grand and RSG.

I like to take my score sheets and then put all 9's for appearance ( as if I actually got all 9's) and calculate it to see how far up the ladder it moves me.

Yes, a low score on Appearance will affect your total score under the KCBS system.

Low scores on Taste and Texture however have a much greater impact on total score due to the current weighting system... why put so much emphasis on Appearance? Given the choice of receiving a 9 on Appearance and an 8 on Taste versus an 8 on Appearance and 9 on Taste, I'll take the second option every time. I choose to focus on making it Taste good over making it Look good (not always succesfully however!)

Back