• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My Custom Vertical Offset is Getting Close...Big Daddy Bandera!!!

A strategically placed hammer blow to side of cook box will fix the lid issue ......a hacksaw will fix the thermo interference issue........:biggrin1:

I did figure out that my 6 ft long Maverick cables are just a weeeee bit too long now that I have a little shelf for it to sit right on the smokebox. Gonna have to bundle up about 4' of the cable. :wink:

A strategically placed hammer blow to side of cook box will fix the lid issue ......a hacksaw will fix the thermo interference issue........:biggrin1:
haha...possibly. Remind me wait to invite you over until after he fixes the issues :wink:

It looks amazing Peeps. I am really struck by how good that Longhorns emblem looks. I ain't got a horse in that race (in terms of allegiance for or against the school), but holy crap it looks nice on the door.

Dang sweet lookin cooker there.
Earl will serve you well I'm sure and the emblem does look pretty good on the door.
Congrats man, I know you've been waiting patiently as possible.
Now go get some food on that monster

Awesome

Awesome smoker. I bet there is great satisfaction in customizing the features.

Like the car also. I had a 1974 Pontiac Grand Am (455 Olds engine) that I kept until 1991. Sold it in a moment of weakness to a friend with a great sob story. He sold it in less than a month to a kid that crashed it. They say all things happen for a reason. Whomever "they" are.

As for the TU Logo .............",,,,,"

Seriously. Nice unit and good job.

Awesome smoker. I bet there is great satisfaction in customizing the features.
Yeah, for sure! I gave AJ some freedom to do as he saw fit on some things, so he deserves some of the credit in the design as well ;)

Like the car also. I had a 1974 Pontiac Grand Am (455 Olds engine) that I kept until 1991. Sold it in a moment of weakness to a friend with a great sob story. He sold it in less than a month to a kid that crashed it. They say all things happen for a reason. Whomever "they" are.
Man, that sucks!!! You live and learn ;)

As for the TU Logo .............",,,,,"

Seriously. Nice unit and good job.
Psshhh! You guys are having a great couple years here and I'll admit...I've watch a fair bit of Aggie football this year and last. Been a lot less frustrating than the crap we have thrown out there! ;)

Yeah, for sure! I gave AJ some freedom to do as he saw fit on some things, so he deserves some of the credit in the design as well ;)

Man, that sucks!!! You live and learn ;)

Psshhh! You guys are having a great couple years here and I'll admit...I've watch a fair bit of Aggie football this year and last. Been a lot less frustrating than the crap we have thrown out there! ;)
Yeah as a life long UT fan I'll have to say that I've been pretty proud of A&M and how well they have done in their new conference! I thought that they'd get beat up pretty bad for at least a couple of years but they got off to a great start. Unfortunately UT is under-achieving this year, so I've had to root for A&M a little more than I normally would!:roll:

I have been thinking after reading CD's pizza thread and using Earl for a day that the domed lid on Earl's firebox might make for a nice spot to do a WF pizza...and I could smoke at the same time ;)

Gotta find me a nice pizza stone...

Very nice looking custom smoker Peeps. Seeing yours, I can hardly wait to get my Lonestar Grillz Vertical Offset. I hope you get the lid issues worked out. Did you have a hole cut in the side for wiring your probes?

Look into Baking Steel for Pizza. I've had several Pizza Stones crack and eventually break. I'm either going to get the brand "Baking Steel" or have Chris cut me a piece of 1/4" A36 to put in place of the firebox cooking grate when I want to do Pizza. It has far better conduction and thermal mass than a stone and will never crack or break.

Very nice looking custom smoker Peeps. Seeing yours, I can hardly wait to get my Lonestar Grillz Vertical Offset. I hope you get the lid issues worked out. Did you have a hole cut in the side for wiring your probes?

Look into Baking Steel for Pizza. I've had several Pizza Stones crack and eventually break. I'm either going to get the brand "Baking Steel" or have Chris cut me a piece of 1/4" A36 to put in place of the firebox cooking grate when I want to do Pizza. It has far better conduction and thermal mass than a stone and will never crack or break.
Thanks! I basically combined a LSG vertical offset and a NB Bandera as my inspiration for Earl....

If you look at the pic below, there are a couple notches in the side of the smokebox near the little shelf. There are matching notches in the door. That is where I run the temp probes. I did learn that using a small binder clip helps keep the wires in place in the notch during the first cook, especially when pulling shelves out ;)

null_zpsd6213ebb.jpg

It sounds like you may have already come across this thread:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12887.0.html

If you look at the pic below, there are a couple notches in the side of the smokebox near the little shelf. There are matching notches in the door. That is where I run the temp probes.

That's a good idea. It looks like he just used an angle grinder.

Here is a link to most of my cook yesterday. The only thing not shown is the brisket but it didn't apply to the TD.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2664865&postcount=63

Here is the brisket. It was pretty tasty but I think I will crutch it the next time, just to save some time. I ran Earl near 300 most the day. Though will people coming over and checking out Earl ad all the other things I was cooking, the door was open quite a bit.

Here is the brisket during it's rest.

Here it is all sliced up.

All the food got rave reviews from the crowd, as did Earl!

This morning was bittersweet, though, as I helped (with a mean hangover) get Earl all loaded up on AJ's trailer to let him make some corrections and tweaks. that we have talked about over the last couple weeks. Now my poor patio looks naked! Should have him back in a week or less. Whew! :wink:

Back