Cold Smoker 1st Build Finished (but need advice)

AspenTD

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just finished my first attempt at a cold smoker. I wanted to build it up from scratch so I did some research on "venturi smoke generators" designs. I decided to go with a high nozzle design. From what I understand its similar in concept to the Smoke Daddy. My version uses a baked bean can, plumbing fittings, and a wine box. Because of the wine box I decided to call the unit my S.A.D.A.L. BOX or the (S)moke (A)nd (D)rink (A) (L)ot BOX :biggrin1:

The SADAL BOX:
ColdSmoker.jpg

The First Test Run:
ColdSmoker1stBatch.jpg

While I'm getting the generator to work, it doesn't seem to be producing a steady stream of smoke as powerful as what I've seen some of you post. It could just be that my wood chips aren't smoldering enough or my other theory is that I need to vent the box more. The box lid does leak (intentionally) but perhaps not enough. Before I go drilling holes in my nice wine box, I thought I'd ask for your suggestions. Let me know if any of you have opinions on the following:

1. Do I vent the box more?

2. What kind and size of wood chips/sawdust do you recommend?

3. Any ideas on a cheap but better wood chip container? I saw someone use a cocktail shaker and might go that route unless I can find something better.

I also plan on posting the design specifics once I get it fine tuned. I haven't seen anyone that really spells out the specific pipe fittings that work best for making this style of smoke generator.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Personally I would perfer to have a small amount of smoke for the area you are using that way you help prevent over smoking.

To get more smoke and less air the venturi effect needs to be adjusted, not knowing what the ait intake shaft looks like in length I cant tell but slide it further in. You should start with that inner tube longer then you need and pull back till the volume/ mixture is where you want it.

Try some iron or NSF food grade stainless. Copper, brass and zinc coated steel have toxicity and corrosion issues. If you want cold smoke more heat exchange will help (more surface or active cooling - cold water exchange). There are lots of commercial models to get some ideals. Check out ebay or google some descriptions.

Back